[visionlist] Director, School of Psychology
Alen.Hajnal at usm.edu
Wed Nov 7 21:45:21 -05 2018
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is seeking a visionary leader to serve as Director of the School of Psychology. The School of Psychology is home to a thriving undergraduate program (BA/ BS Psychology; approximately 600 students) offered on two campuses (Hattiesburg & Gulf Park), and is one of the few schools in the country offering APA accredited doctoral programs in School, Clinical and Counseling Psychology, a generalist Brain and Behavior doctoral program and an MPCAC accredited MS program in Counseling Psychology (Hattiesburg campus; 100 full time students). We are seeking applicants who demonstrate strong leadership, communication and collaboration skills and who will foster innovation and growth in the School of Psychology at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The School Director position is a full-time, 12-month administrative appointment beginning July 1, 2019. Qualified candidates will have earned a degree in one of the graduate degree programs represented in the School, possess research and external funding experience, meet expectations for tenure and promotion to Full Professor at or within two years of hiring, and have professional experiences demonstrating leadership and management abilities in higher education. They will, further, appreciate the importance of accreditation, will demonstrate ability to navigate the training needs of undergraduates, as well as both the general and applied graduate areas represented in the School, will value shared governance, and will demonstrate a commitment to both applied and general graduate and undergraduate training programs.
USM is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral University with Higher Research Activity and, as such, the Director is expected to promote research productivity and foster an environment conducive to impactful, externally funded research among faculty and students. Broad responsibilities for the School Director include planning, development, and administration of the School's academic units while advocating on their behalf to both internal and external stakeholders. As leader of one of the larger units in the College of Education and Human Sciences, the effective Director must be an engaged participant in both the College and the University administrative teams.
Duties include the following:
• Provide leadership for School programs and ensure that curricula, instruction, assessment, research, and outreach are innovative, of the highest quality, and aligned with accreditation guidelines and College and University strategic plans
• Oversee School administration, including staffing courses, managing the budget, overseeing staff, engaging with fundraising efforts, and ensuring efficient/effective day-to-day operations of the School
• Articulate and pursue a vision of growth for the School, developed collaboratively with faculty and consistent with College and University goals, that fosters success for all stakeholders across all programs and across all domains
• Provide leadership and effective representation and advocacy for the School at the College and University levels, including establishment and implementation of School, College, and University policies, procedures, and guidelines Facilitate faculty development and collaborative engagement in meaningful evaluation of faculty
• Teach undergraduate and/or graduate-level courses in discipline
Hattiesburg is located approximately 70 miles north of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and 100 miles from New Orleans and is a great place to live. Hattiesburg offers a unique blend of a high standard of living at reasonable costs. In fact, Hattiesburg was recently recognized by Livability.com<https://livability.com/top-10/college/10-best-college-towns/2014> as one of the nation's top college towns.
Review of applications will begin December 1 and will continue until the position is filled. Please feel free to contact Dr. Elaine Molaison to inquire about the position (elaine.molaison at usm.edu). A completed application will include 1) a cover letter, 2) a CV, 3) three letters of recommendation, 4) a 2-3 page leadership statement describing your approach to leadership and summarizing how your leadership experiences have prepared you for this position, and 5) academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable; official transcripts are necessary for hire). Application materials can be uploaded to the HR site found here: https://jobs.usm.edu<https://jobs.usm.edu/> . The program is committed to increasing diversity; we encourage applications from those who identify as diverse in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, and/or sexual orientation AA/EEO/ADAI.
We welcome applicants from the vision science community!
Alen Hajnal, PhD.
Brain and Behavior Program Director<https://www.usm.edu/brain-and-behavior>
Perception Action Cognition Lab<https://sites.google.com/view/paclab>
School of Psychology
University of Southern Mississippi
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the visionlist