[visionlist] Reminder: Postdoc in visual perceptual learning at German Primate Center, Goettingen, available

Caspar M. Schwiedrzik schwiedrzik at mpih-frankfurt.mpg.de
Thu Feb 14 04:19:52 -04 2019

The Deutsches Primatenzentrum GmbH – Leibniz-Institut für Primatenforschung
in Göttingen is a primate research and competence center that does basic
research. It concentrates on three main are- as named Organismic Primate
Biology, Infections Research and Neurosciences. The DPZ maintains four
field stations to do research on and with primates. Furthermore it is one
of 95 research and infra- structure establishments of the Leibniz
Association

Part-time employment is possible.

The Perception and Plasticity Group is looking for an excellent

*Postdoctoral research associate*

The Perception and Plasticity Group of Caspar Schwiedrzik at the German
Primate Center (DPZ) in Göttingen, Germany, is looking for an outstanding
postdoc interested in studying the neural basis of perceptual learning in
vision. The project investigates neural mechanisms of learning and
perception at the level of circuits and single cells, utilizing functional
magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) in combination with electrophysiology and
behavioral testing in humans and non-human primates. It is funded by an ERC
Starting Grant (Acronym VarPL; “Specificity or generalization? Neural
mechanisms for perceptual learning with variability”). The postdoc’s
project will focus on investigating the neural basis of perceptual learning
in macaque monkeys combining fMRI, multi-electrode electrophysiological
recordings and electrical microstimulation. In addition, the postdoc will
have the opportunity to cooperate with other lab members on parallel,
comparative research exploring the same questions in humans.

We seek to understand the cortical basis and computational principles of
perception and experience- dependent plasticity in the macaque and human
brain. To this end, we use a multimodal approach including fMRI-guided
electrophysiological recordings in non-human primates and fMRI and ECoG in
humans. The postdoc will play a key role in our research efforts in this
area. The lab is located at the DPZ (*http://www.dpz.eu <http://www.dpz.eu>*)
and the ENI-G (*http://www.eni-g.de <http://www.eni-g.de>*), which are
interdisciplinary research centers with international faculty and students
pursuing cutting-edge research in neuroscience. The postdoc will have
access to a new imaging center with a dedicated 3T research scanner,
state-of-the- art electrophysiology, and behavioral setups. For an overview
of our work and representative publications, please see our website
*http://www.eni-g.de/groups/neural-circuits-and-cognition.
<http://www.eni-g.de/groups/neural-circuits-and-cognition>*

The position will be available starting in February 2019 with an initial
appointment for 2 years. Extensions beyond 2 years are possible. Candidates
should have a PhD degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g.,
neuroscience, psychology, biology), and prior experience, evidenced by a
publication or preprint, in electrophysiology in non-human primates, strong
quantitative, programming, and experimental skills, and share a passion for
understanding the neural basis of visual perception and its plasticity.
Prior experience with microstimulation is a plus. A good command of English
is a requirement, but fluency in German is not essential. We especially
encourage women to apply.

Interested candidates should send in their curriculum vitae, a description
of their scientific interest, a representative publication, a copy of their
PhD degree, and the names and contact information of up to three references
who are able to comment on your academic background and who have agreed to
be contacted.

The appointment at the DPZ follows the applied regulations of civil
service. The classification follows the TV-L. Disabled applicants with
equal qualification will be given preferential consideration. We kindly ask
you to indicate in your application if you are disabled.

Please send in your written application including all certificates until
the 20th of February, 2019 under key word “Postdoc Perception and
Plasticity” to Deutsches Primatenzentrum GmbH – Leibniz Institut für
Primatenforschung – Personnel Office – Kellnerweg 4 – 37077 Göttingen or
via mail to *bewer**bung at dpz.eu. <bung at dpz.eu>*

For further information please contact Dr. Schwiedrzik, *cschwiedrzik at dpz.eu,
<cschwiedrzik at dpz.eu>*phone: +49 (0)551-39-61371 or see *http://www.dpz.eu.
<http://www.dpz.eu/>*

Further information about the Leibniz Society is available at
http://www.leibniz-gemeinschaft.de.