[visionlist] Scholarships in Centre for Doctoral Training

Roach M.J. m.j.roach at swansea.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 09:28:03 -04 2019

EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Enhancing Human Interactions and Collaborations with Data and Intelligence Driven Systems – Call for Applications for 4-year Funded Research Studentships.

We are looking for people who are committed to changing the world via world-class research that focuses on amplifying human capabilities through the use of data-driven and intelligence enabled systems. The programme spans 4 years and includes an integrated Masters.

Working alongside a rich and diverse set of industrial, public and third sector partners – including Facebook, Tata Steel, Ordnance Survey, Microsoft Research, Gofore, NHS and QinetiQ – successful candidates will use a people-first approach to drive exciting, adventurous and impactful scientific breakthroughs.

This new Centre, funded by the UK’s Premier Science and Engineering body, EPSRC, is housed in the recently opened £32.5M state-of-the-art Computational Foundry at Swansea University. Members of our Centre will be nurtured by multidisciplinary supervisors who are globally leading research agendas in Computer Science,  Mathematics, Engineering, Management, Medicine and Social Care and Law.

Candidates should have an aptitude and ability in computational thinking and methods (as evidenced by a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering, for instance) including the ability to write software. The minimum entry requirement is a 2.1 undergraduate degree. For non-native English language speakers an IELTS average score of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any element is required

For future AI and big data technologies to serve society and the economy effectively, they will need to be created and critiqued by a diverse and wide set of perspectives as possible: we welcome applications from anyone who feels they can help in the mission of the Centre.

This year, we have 11 fully funded places (fees plus maintenance stipend set at the UKRI rate, currently £14,777 per annum for 2018/19 for full-time students, updated each year) for UK/Home and EU nationals who can satisfy UK residency requirements. Places are also available for those in receipt of four-year external funding.

Applications for this first cohort (starting Autumn 2019) should be made via our website (people-first.best<http://people-first.best>) by March 22nd, 2019. There will be an information and interview event scheduled for 16th and 17th April 2019.

For an informal discussion about your application, please contact the Centre Director, Professor Matt Jones (Director-Enhance-CDT at swansea.ac.uk).

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/drmattroach>