[visionlist] Call for papers: Vividness, Consciousness, and Mental Imagery: Making the Missing Links across Disciplines and Methods

Amedeo DAngiulli AmedeoDAngiulli at cunet.carleton.ca
Wed Apr 3 10:28:33 -04 2019

Subject: Call for papers: Vividness, Consciousness, and Mental Imagery: Making the Missing Links across Disciplines and Methods

The journal Brain Sciences (ISSN 2076-3425) is currently running a Special Issue entitled "Vividness, Consciousness, and Mental Imagery: Making the Missing Links across Disciplines and Methods". Prof. Amedeo D'Angiulli (Department of Neuroscience, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada) is serving as Guest Editor for this issue.

*****Over twenty years ago, Baars (1996) noted that, “The strategy of treating consciousness as a variable has now become standard in the study of subliminal vision, blindsight, and implicit cognition. We can easily apply it to mental imagery—yet we rarely do so.” He concluded that, “As a result, even as consciousness research thrives in other domains, we have very little firm evidence about the conscious dimension of mental imagery.” In many respects, Baar’s conclusion still stands.
Today in many studies, mental images are still either treated as conscious by definition, or as empirical operations implicit to completing some type of task, such as the measurement of reaction time in mental rotation, an underlying mental image is assumed, but there is no direct determination of whether it is conscious or not.
The vividness of mental images is a potentially helpful construct which may be suitable, as it may correspond to consciousness or aspects of the consciousness of images****** [...]
For further reading and submission, please follow the link to the Special Issue Website at: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/brainsci/special_issues/Vividness_Consciousness_Imagery

The submission deadline is 1 June 2019. You may send your manuscript now or up until the deadline. Submitted papers should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. We also encourage authors to send a short abstract or tentative title to the Editorial Office in advance (arya.zou at mdpi.com).

For further details on the submission process, please see the instructions for authors at the journal website (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/brainsci/instructions) and/or  https://www.mdpi.com/journal/brainsci/special_issues/Vividness_Consciousness_Imagery

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Amedeo D'Angiulli, PhD
Carleton University
Professor, Department of Neuroscience
Director, NICER Lab
1125 Colonel BY Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6
(613) 520-2600, ext. 2954 (office)                amedeo.dangiulli at carleton.ca
(613) 520-2600, ext. 3097 (lab)                   http://www2.carleton.ca/nicerlab/