[visionlist] Postdoc position in monkey electrophysiology at Ernst Strungmann Institute (Frankfurt, Germany)

Scholvinck, Marieke marieke.scholvinck at esi-frankfurt.de
Fri Sep 13 07:30:25 -04 2019

We are hiring! We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to lead the monkey work of the Zero-Noise Lab at the Ernst Strüngmann Institute for Neuroscience in Frankfurt, Germany.

The position

The Zero-Noise Lab investigates how neuronal population activity unfolds in real time during naturalistic behaviour, and how this compares between mouse and monkey. To this end, we conduct chronic electrophysiological recordings in the visual cortex of macaques and mice, while they are engaged in the same, naturalistic foraging task in a virtual environment. The lab is jointly headed by Marieke Schölvinck and Martha Nari Havenith, and funded by the Max Planck Society. In the lab, postdocs and PhD students focus on experiments in either mouse or monkey, but intensely work together to ensure that we constantly align and mutually learn from experiments across species. We are now looking for a postdoc to lead the monkey side of the lab, while developing their own ideas and research interests. Ideally, we would like you to start in spring 2020. The appointment is for three years initially, with the possibility of extension by another two years; the salary is in accordance with the regulations for academic personnel.

You

If you (are about to) hold a Ph.D., have experience with electrophysiological recordings in awake animals, and are eager to work in an interdisciplinary lab with multiple model species, we would love to hear from you! Additional skills that would be extremely valuable:

- Programming skills (Matlab and/or Python)

- Technical skills to build up an electrophysiology set-up

- Experience with behavioural training

How to apply

If you're interested and for more information about the job, please send an email to Marieke (marieke.scholvinck at esi-frankfurt.de<mailto:marieke.scholvinck at esi-frankfurt.de>) and Martha (marthanari.havenith at gmail.com<mailto:marthanarihavenith at gmail.com>) before November 1, 2019. In your email, please explain your background, what you expect from your postdoc, and why you want to join us in Frankfurt. The application remains open until the position is filled.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Martha and Marieke