[visionlist] Call for Papers | Journal of Vision | Special Issue | Crowding: Recent advances and perspectives

Andrew Watson abwatson at me.com
Wed Nov 20 14:00:13 -04 2019

Journal of Vision
Special Issue

Crowding:            Recent advances and perspectives

The context of a target stimulus can dramatically change how it is perceived. In crowding, identification of a target that is easily identified in isolation deteriorates when presented among contextual elements. Crowding is ubiquitous when viewing complex, cluttered scenes and has been described as one of the fundamental limits of visual perception, constraining tasks such as reading, visual search, and object recognition. A plethora of recent research significantly advanced our understanding of crowding. However, several - often mutually exclusive – accounts have been proposed to explain crowding, and its underlying mechanisms are still largely unknown. For this special issue, we invite submissions of articles from all areas of crowding research, ranging from basic empirical work to translational findings and targeted reviews. The goal of the special issue is to provide a broad and profound overview of the current state of our understanding of crowding.

Feature Editors:
Susana T.L. Chung	University of California, Berkeley
Michael H. Herzog	École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Denis Pelli		New York University
Ruth Rosenholtz	Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Bilge Sayim		University of Lille, CNRS, University of Bern
David Whitney		University of California, Berkeley

Submissions to the special issue will be open through September 1, 2020. Accepted papers will be published as ready in the current monthly issue as well as presented as a special issue together as a collection on the JOV website.

Andrew B. Watson
Editor-in-Chief
Journal of Vision   http://journalofvision.org/