[visionlist] Up to 6 PhD fellowships in Cognitive Neuroscience at SISSA, Trieste, Italy, to start Oct, 2020

Alessandro Treves ale at sissa.it
Wed Jan 8 03:21:18 -04 2020

SISSA is an elite postgraduate research institution located in Trieste, Italy,
and focused on Maths, Physics and Neuroscience. It operates in English: many
among its students and faculty are not Italian.

The Cognitive Neuroscience Department hosts 6 research labs that study the
neuronal bases of time and magnitude processing, visual perception, motivation
and intelligence, language and reading, tactile perception and learning, and
neural computation. The Department is very inter–disciplinary; our approaches
include behavioural, psychophysics, and neurophysiological experiments with
humans and animals, as well as computational and mathematical models.

Students with diverse backgrounds (physics, math, medicine, psychology,
biology) are most welcome to apply. The Department has an exceptional track
record with highly competitive funds (recent funding includes 4 ERC and
3 Human Frontiers grants) and publication in top journals (Nature, Science,
PNAS, Current Biology). Recent placements after PhD include Harvard, MIT,
Columbia and Princeton in the US; the NTNU, Manchester and Radboud in
Europe; and Sydney University, Australia. Our alumni have been awarded 4 ERC
grants, the 2015 Kandel Young Neuroscientist Prize and the 2017 ICTP Prize.