[visionlist] Vacancy for studying the visual cortex

Pieter Roelfsema p.roelfsema at nin.knaw.nl
Thu Feb 27 04:07:05 -04 2020

We have an exciting opportunity for a PhD-student or postdoc to work on the neuronal mechanisms for object perception and perceptual organization

Project description

The perception of objects and their segregation from cluttered backgrounds requires interactions between lower and higher areas of the visual cortex. In this project we will simultaneously record from low-level and higher-level cortical areas of the temporal stream in monkeys trained on tasks that rely on object vision. We compare the activity of neurons in the different brain areas to the tuning of units in deep neural networks, to elucidate the contributions of feedforward and feedback connections between brain areas.

We expect from you:

You are highly motivated, self-driven with a degree in neuroscience, (neuro)psychology, biomedical sciences, natural sciences, material science, mathematics, physics, etc. A high level of written and spoken English and good programming skills are required. You will have experience with neurophysiological techniques, the analysis of neuronal activity in alert animals, and a background in neuroscience.

You should expect from us:

• Mentoring, supervision and training

• Access to state-of-the art infrastructure

• A stimulating international research environment

Environment

The Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience (www.nin.nl) is the country’s leading fundamental neuroscience research institute. It provides a critical mass of scientists and neuroscience technologies, together with a highly interactive, dynamic, multi-cultural environment. English is the working language of all research groups. Amsterdam is an internationally oriented city and an attractive, progressive and easy-to-integrate environment. The research groups have members from more than 27 nations with backgrounds ranging from philosophy to engineering.

Appointment

We offer an exciting job at a dynamic research institute and an attractive package of fringe benefits.

The position is for a period of 3 or 4 years in total for a postdoctoral researcher or PhD-student, respectively. The first appointment is for one year with an extension for the remaining period pending on an evaluation.

Salary

The salary will be commensurate with experience and institutional guidelines based on the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities; CAO NU). Full time monthly salary for a PhD student is € 2.325,- in the 1st year to € 2.979,-  in the 4th year before taxes. The starting salary for a postdoctoral researcher depends on experience and ranges from € 3.123,- to € 4.274,-.- before taxes.  A 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus are excluded. A 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus are excluded. We offer travel expenses, paid parental leave, flexible working hours, 30 days paid leave per year and help by finding a house.

Starting date

The position is available from Mid 2020

To apply

Please, send your application to l.van.der.vecht at nin.knaw.nl including:

1. A Curriculum Vitae

2. An application letter

3. Two (for PhD applicants) or three (for postdoctoral applicants) reference letters

Evaluation of candidates will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. We aim to fill the position between April and July 2020.

All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, etc.