[visionlist] Trying to demonstrate stereoscopic vision remotely

Terrance Boult tboult at vast.uccs.edu
Sun Mar 22 10:50:40 -04 2020

You can also just make your own filters with clear  plastic (e.g. from
food cartons) and permanent markers, making paper/cardboard lens
holders  Can also often find different color plastic in the recycle
bin..   E.g. might find green plastic from saint patty's day (or soda
bottles) and red plastic from a valentines box wrapping.   Plenty of DIY
instructions on the net

On 3/22/2020 5:30 AM, Andrew Parker wrote:
> Dear Lester
>
> Concerning option 3, I agree with you about red/green or red/blue
> glasses. Difficult to order single versions. But all they need for a
> home demo are the filters . The filters are readily available from
> photo suppliers, theatre lighting supplies, disco suppliers…and if all
> else fails Amazon.
>

> Andrew
>

> Andrew Parker, DPAG
> Oxford University and St John’s College
> andrew.parker at dpag.ox.ac.uk <mailto:andrew.parker at dpag.ox.ac.uk>
>

>> On 21 Mar 2020, at 02:45, Lester Loschky <loschky at ksu.edu
>> <mailto:loschky at ksu.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> If you teach Sensation and Perception, and are currently preparing to
>> teach it remotely, you may have the same question I have: how can you
>> demonstrate stereovision remotely?
>>
>> As preface, the following are methods I have used in in-person
>> classes to demonstrate stereo vision:
>>
>>  1. an actual stereoscope and example stereoimages to share with
>>     students (including the classic Julesz square tile
>>     random-dot-stereogram image)
>>  2. example stereoscopic lenticular lens images to share with students
>>  3. red/green anaglyph images with sets of cardboard & plastic
>>     red/green anaglyph glasses
>>  4. Google Cardboard plus cell phone to share with students
>>  5. random dot autosterographic images
>>  6. touching two pen tips together using two eyes versus one eye
>>  7. learning about crossed vs. uncrossed disparity using two fingers
>>     at different distances
>>
>> Unfortunately, my students don't uniformly have access to the
>> apparatuses required for 1-4 above.
>>
>> Re. # 3 (red/green anaglyph images), I've thought of having students
>> order a single pair of red/green anaglyph glasses online.  However,
>> it appears that the cardboard and plastic ones can only be purchased
>> in bulk. (I guess they're too cheap to sell individually.)  They also
>> might not arrive in time, but students could still enjoy them once
>> they get them.
>>
>> Re. #4 (Google Cardboard), I recall getting a free Google Cardboard
>> from the NYTimes several years ago.  However, they are now no cheaper
>> than $5 (Irisu, of India), and likely wouldn't arrive in time.
>>
>> Regarding option #5 (random-dot autostereograms), I have found that
>> since seeing random dot autostereographic images in depth requires
>> perceptual learning, a large proportion of students don't manage to
>> learn (within the short time period given in a single class period).
>>  (Of course, many students may have a lot of time on their hands now,
>> so they might keep at it long enough to learn to perceive them.  But
>> there will definitely be a good proportion of students who don't try
>> long enough to learn, and so don't get it.)
>>
>> #6 (touching two pen tips together) is definitely something that can
>> be done remotely.  However, it doesn't have the "Wow!" factor of
> [...]

Terrance E. Boult,    Cell: (719)963-0573
El Pomar Prof. of Innovation and Security & Co-director Bachelor of Innovation
U. Colorado at Colorado Springs
IEEE Fellow