[visionlist] Matlab --> online Experiments

Jon Peirce jon.peirce at gmail.com
Sun May 3 06:13:12 -04 2020

On 03/05/2020 08:01, Caspar Goeke wrote:
> Dear Jon and vision community,
>
> I would like to put a few things into context here and also ask some
> question.
>
> I read the paper you quoted, but our platform
> (https://www.labvanced.com/) was not included in the comparison. So I
> am wondering whether this was a conscious choice or whether we were
> not on your radar yet (of course we would be glad to be included in
> future work)?
Simple lack of resources I'm afraid. There was obviously a huge time
commitment for each package we tested given that we had to learn the
package and then run 1000s of trials on each combination of operating
system and browser. Sadly many options could not be included as a result
(PsyToolkit, tatool, EventIDE, OSweb, Experimaker... are just a few that
we didn't have time to test)

> In any case, I would like to stress the point that our system was
> build around timing accuracy, i.e. we use a pre-rendering approach,
> and precision < 3 ms can surely be realized with us.

I'm sure the authors of all the packages would say the same. I'm sure
all are pre-rendering stimuli, and all are using sub-ms clocks.
Nonetheless, we see found a lot of difference across packages and
browsers, mostly *not* achieving sub-3ms precision, and none matching
the lab-based packages. Audio-visual synchrony was particularly poor
acorss all the packages we tested, although if Labvanced has cracked
that nut it would be great to hear! Ultimately, the challenge is that
the browsers are black boxes that differ in many ways (use of graphics
buffers, keyboard polling rates...) and they aren't designed for things
we need (like millisecond-precise audio onsets). As an example, in the
desktop, PTB and PsychoPy directly poll the USB port for key presses at
whatever polling rate we choose. Conversely, in JavaScript, the script
polls the browser, which polls the operating system, which polls the USB
port, and each step can add delays and variability.

> Overall, I dont think there is a single best choice for all online
> experiments.
Agreed. If you want to run online studies only (or lab-based studies
only) then there are many options. I was specifically referring to the
case where users wanted to create a study once and run it both in the
lab (with maximal precision) and online.

> Needles to say, besides PsychoPy, there are also good native
> Javascript frameworks for web based studies.
This is true too although, again, a word of caution that people/packages
that have given this *a lot* of thought have come up with solutions not
all equal in timing precision. If you neeed very precise timing then
make sure you test the actual precision of your study using a BBTK to
make sure you are getting the precision you expect/need.
> So my honest and unbiased oppinion to anyone in the community is: Try
> out various platforms/frameworks and pick the one best suited for your
> needs!

Agreed!

> [...]
>     update stimulus parameters on every frame! Timing can't currently
>     be *as good* as lab-based libraries (and don't listen to anybody
>     telling you otherwise) but it is much better than most people imagine.
>
>     PsychoJS (the JS port of the lib) uses WebGL where available,
>     which allows a large range of hardware-accelerated graphics,
>     including GL shaders, to be used so we should ultimately be able
>     to create all your favourite stimuli online. :-)
>
>     *Generating the JS experiment /script/*
>
>     PsychoPy Builder can also output your experiment in either format
>     - the Python script or the JS files. Python Code Components within
>     the Builder experiment can even be auto-translated to JS format!
>     Again, you can't use functions that don't exist, but the syntax
>     converts remarkably well, so you can augment your study with
>     conditionals, loops and even custom functions and these will all
>     be translated.
>
>     You can't take a hand-written script and auto-convert that. The
>     structural changes required for a full script mean that isn't
>     possible (and probably never will be).
>
>     That said, creating a study in Builder is really fast, so starting
>     from scratch isn't such a big deal, and Builder is the approach we
>     recommend even for skilled programmers anyway. It typically means
>     fewer mistakes, better timing and more future-proof experiments
>     ("future you" can still undertand the study when it's graphical
>     rather than 1000 lines of code).
>
>     *What isn't done
>     *
>
>     The downside for vision scientists is that we expected this
>     community to be last to want to go online so the psychophysics
>     features have been last to be implemented. In particular, gamma
>     correction hasn't been done (although it could be using WebGL
>     Shaders) and we haven't ported the Gratings and similar stimuli
>     yet (mostly because these aren't the useful if gamma isn't
>     linearised). We also haven't yet ported over the staircase procedures.
>
>     All these things can be done and we will get to them in due course
>     but, also, if you have JS skills you could jump in and help us
>     fill the gaps!
>

>>     On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 8:23 AM Sauter Marian
>>     <marian.sauter at unibw.de <mailto:marian.sauter at unibw.de>> wrote:
>>
>>         Dear all,
>>

>>         for those of you still seeking recommendations on how to get
>>         your experiments online, our article just got pusblished open
>>         access:
>>

>>         Sauter, M.; Draschkow, D.; Mack, W. *Building, Hosting and
>>         Recruiting: A Brief Introduction to Running Behavioral
>>         Experiments Online*. /Brain Sci./ *2020*, /10/, 251.
>>

>>         https://www.mdpi.com/699990
>>

>>         Best wishes,
>>
>>         Marian
>>

>>         *Dr. Marian Sauter*
>>
>>         /Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter/
>>         Universität der Bundeswehr München
>>         Department für Psychologie - Professur für Allgemeine Psychologie

Jonathan Peirce
University of Nottingham

https://www.peirce.org.uk
https://psychopy.org