[visionlist] Experimental design in Unity3D

Nikolaus Troje troje at yorku.ca
Mon May 11 21:32:46 -04 2020

Dear colleagues,

I want to share with the Vision Science community a new tool that we developed in the BioMotionLab here at CVR @ York University. The game engine Unity3D has become a popular means that many of us use to run experiments – particularly because it makes the control of HMDs and the geometry of Virtual Realities relatively easy.

We are now releasing bmlTUX, a plugin for Unity which helps the user to quickly design and then execute factorial, trial-based experiments in Unity without fussing too much over coding details. The user defines experimental variables and experimental design, and the toolkit will then automatically create a table of trials to run, while taking care for counterbalancing conditions, randomizing trial orders in flexible ways, and taking care of all sorts of other book-keeping work.

Coding is only required to customize what happens before, during, and after a trial, block of trials, or the whole experiment itself. The toolkit will then execute the experiment by creating and running all required trials, and will write responses and response times collected from participants along with all experimental variables conveniently into a file.

Check out our website at http://biomotionlab.ca/tux/. You'll find detailed documentation and a number of video tutorials, along with instructions how to download the tool.

Enjoy!

Niko

Niko Troje