[visionlist] Fwd: PhD in Perception and Forecasting at Sapienza (Rome, Italy)

Fabio Galasso fabio.galasso at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:12:27 -04 2020

Dear Colleagues,

There would be PhD openings at Sapienza University (Rome, Italy). Would you
please help spreading this call for expression of interest for a PhD in
Perception and Forecasting. Infos below and at:
https://fgalasso.bitbucket.io/Files/Calls/2020-06_PhD.pdf

Many thanks,

Prof Fabio Galasso
Sapienza University

+39 345 5969678
https://fgalasso.bitbucket.io/

***PhD in Perception and Forecasting, Computer Vision and Machine
Learning***
At the Dept. of Computer Science, Sapienza University, Rome (Italy)
Call for expression of interest

The newly founded Perception and Intelligence Lab (PINLab) is seeking
exceptional and highly-motivated full-time Ph.D. students to work on one or
a combination of these topics:
- Forecasting the future motion of people, vehicles and other objects
- Detection, recognition and re-identification with RGB and novel
event-cameras
- Learning to learn (meta learning) and to generalize (domain adaptation)

The research work would leverage and define novel state-of-the-art models
based on Deep Neural Networks and Spike Neural Networks, addressing the
network memory, learning, reasoning and adaptation capabilities.
Initial work would stand on most recent achievements from our team,
published at the TOP conference (CVPR) and journal (TPAMI) in the field:
- B Munjal, S Amin, F Tombari, F Galasso. Query-guided End-to-End Person
Search. CVPR'19. (https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.01203)
- I Hasan, F Setti, T Tsesmelis, V Belagiannis, S Amin, A Del Bue, M
Cristani, F Galasso. Forecasting People Trajectories and Head Poses by
Jointly Reasoning on Tracklets and Vislets. TPAMI'19 (
https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.02000)
- I Hasan, F Setti, T Tsesmelis, A Del Bue, F Galasso, M Cristani. MX-LSTM:
mixing tracklets and vislets to jointly forecast trajectories and head
poses. CVPR'18 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.00652)

The PhD student would collaborate with scientists at the Dept. of Computer
Science at Sapienza (https://www.di.uniroma1.it/en), a department of
Excellence in Italy: #1 in Computer Science and in the top 1% among all
other Italian departments. The student would be given the opportunity to
collaborate with international academic partners and companies, to
experience research and innovation transfer.

We provide equal opportunities to all applicants and favour diversity. Any
expertise or prior knowledge in computer vision and machine learning is
welcome. Prior publication at international conferences is an advantage.
Ability to program in Python/C/C++ is desirable, as well as prior
experience with Pytorch and TensorFlow. Other programming languages,
communication skills and team play will also be welcome.

Submit your expression of interest by 12 June 2020
Direct your submission to Prof. Fabio Galasso (galasso at di.uniroma1.it),
head of the PINLab.
Include your CV, cover letter, publication list and contact details of 2
referees.

Eligibility: a Master’s degree is a pre-requisite for the Ph.D.