[visionlist] Inviting proposals for Elements in Perception

Enns, James jenns at psych.ubc.ca
Sun Aug 9 01:13:25 -04 2020

Aug 07 2020

This is an open invitation to the human perception community for proposals on the remaining 10 articles in the Elements in Perception Series by Cambridge University Press.

If you are a potential author (or author group) representing a cutting-edge laboratory in the study of human perception, I welcome you to consider this opportunity to join the existing authors in this series.  Elements is an excellent opportunity to showcase your work for other researchers and for generalist readers.  Above all, it as a golden opportunity to influence the next generation in perception. More specific details are given below in the Invitation to Authors.

We are looking for Elements to showcase

-  research in perception that relates life and lab

-  the unique perspective of a research team in an emerging subfield of perception

-  the integration of literatures that are often treated separately

-  inspiration to students to dive more deeply into an area

Elements of Perception already published

https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/elements/elements-of-perception

Greg Francis                Hypothesis Testing

Paul Breslin                 Chemosenses:  Are you going to eat that?

Salva Soto-Faraco       Multisensory Interactions

Kimberly Jameson       Color Vision and Tetrachromacy

Stefanie Goodhew       Breadth of Attention

Jan Theeuwes             Attentional Selection

Charles Spence           Applied Perception:  Driving

Elements of Perception under contract

D’Esposito                   Working Memory

Monica Castelhano     Scenes

Brett Fajen                  Locomotion

James Tanaka             Expertise

Fred Gosselin              Faces

Galina Paramei           Scaling

Michael McBeath        Action

Leslie Kay                   Olfaction

Elements of Perception under consideration

Caroline Palmer          Music

Beatriz Calvo-Marino  Person perception

Natalie Sebanz      Joint Action

Invitation to Authors                Elements of Perception

Series Editor, James T. Enns   Cambridge University Press

https://www.cambridge.org/core/what-we-publish/elements/elements-of-perception

The goal is to assemble a series of chapters that are recognized as authoritative that can be used in a modular way as textbook material, reference works, and as important research overviews.  Each article showcases cutting edge new research as well as linking this work to past seminal work in our field (the “classics”).  Together, I hope the articles in this series will become a go-to reference work in our field, eventually replacing the more traditional offerings of paper textbooks and handbooks.

All articles in this series are indexed like other journal articles in our field, with a volume number, page numbers, doi, etc.  The articles will be invited, but will be thoroughly peer-reviewed and edited by our Editorial Board.

What makes this series unique?

Entirely digital.  This makes each article easily accessible and up-date-able.  The opportunity remains to print one-off copies of popular articles in paperback form at a low price ($20).

Forward looking rather than archival.  Each article will feature reviews of past work along with cutting edge new research that is situated within this past work.  Emphasis will be placed equally on the tools of the research, the findings, and the theoretical developments being made.  Emphasis will be placed on where the field is going, rather than trying to fit into older categories such as separate entries for “sensation” and “perception.”

Open ended.  At 20-30,000 words, authors who are frustrated with journal space limits will be given to describe their work in its natural length.

Supplemental material.  Authors will be encouraged to use an online platform hosted by Cambridge University Press to present ancillary material (data, video, supplementary analyses) that will enhance their presentation for specialized readers.

Fast publication.  A 12-week production timeline following peer review, so that work is disseminated to readers quickly.

Accessible. Elements will be available at an affordable price point to Cambridge’s global network of library partners, and thus free to users at subscribing institutions through their library. Readers may also purchase individual volumes that interest them as $20 print-on-demand paperback books.

The overall website for the Elements initiative can be found here. http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/elements#cVpS4LlPQmFw5bXc.97

I look forward to receiving proposals and/or answering any further questions you might have.

Jim Enns, Series Editor