[visionlist] 3 Postdoc positions on human vision @ FU Berlin using 7T layer-fMRI/ deep learning, with MIT, CBS.MPG, LIN and GU

radoslaw martin cichy rmcichy at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:35:53 -04 2020

The ERC project “*CRACK- Cracking the Neural Code of Human Object Vision”*
addresses open questions of where, when and how human neural activity
enables visual cognition.

We are offering *three PostDoc positions* in *Radek Cichy’s **Neural
Dynamics of Visual Cognition* *Group*
<https://www.ewi-psy.fu-berlin.de/en/einrichtungen/arbeitsbereiche/neural_dyn_of_vis_cog/index.html>
at the Department of Education and Psychology and Education.

The positions are in *two different directions of research*:

*1) 7T L**a**yer-fMRI for resolving information flow (Reference code:
CICHY-ERC-7T)*

We will distinguish, map and understand the role of feed-forward and
feed-back information flow in human cortex for visual cognition. This will
be done by resolving neural activity in space at the level of cortical
layers using 7T-MRI, and in time through time-frequency decomposition of
M/EEG data (e.g. Xie et al. 2020, *Curr Biol*
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2020.04.074>), and their integration (Cichy
et al., 2014 *Nat Neuro* <https://doi.org/10.1038/nn.3635>; summarized in Cichy
& Oliva, 2020 *Neuron* <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2020.07.001>).

This work is in (already established) collaboration with Nik Weiskopf
<https://www.cbs.mpg.de/mitarbeiter/weiskopf>(MPI for Cognitive and Brain
Sciences) and Oliver Speck <https://www.bmmr.ovgu.de/mm/en/> (LIN/OVGU).

*2) Deep learning models of visual cortex (Reference code:
CICHY-ERC-deep-learn)*

We will develop, compare and use artificial neural networks as models to
better understand the neural code for visual contents. An example of
primary work is Cichy at al., 2016 *Sci Rep*
<https://www.nature.com/articles/srep27755>, a high-level perspective on
our approach is summarized in Cichy & Kaiser 2020, *Trends Cogn Sci*
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tics.2019.01.009>.

This work is in (also already established) collaboration with Aude Oliva
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=FNhl50sAAAAJ&hl=en> (CSAIL/MIT)
and Gemma Roig <http://www.cvai.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/index.html> (Goethe
University Frankfurt). An example of collaborative work in this spirit is
the Algonauts Project <http://algonauts.csail.mit.edu/>, which will be
further conducted as part of CCN  <https://ccneuro.org/2020/>in 2021.

Funding is available immediately but maximally until 30.04.2024 (end of the
funding period).

Please find *further details* about the positions, the lab in general, and
how to apply here
<https://www.ewi-psy.fu-berlin.de/en/einrichtungen/arbeitsbereiche/neural_dyn_of_vis_cog/ERC-postdoc-call/index.html>
.

The application deadline is September 27th. For informal inquiries please
contact me <rmcichy at zedat.fu-berlin.com> directly.

Best,

Radek

ERC StG / Emmy Noether Group Leader