[visionlist] NeuroLecture Seminar: Dr. Alex Puckett - The functional architecture of human visual cortex (Oct 16, 2020)

Zoey Isherwood zisherwood at unr.edu
Tue Sep 15 15:48:48 -04 2020

** Apologies for cross-posting **

Please find below an advertisement for an upcoming NeuroLecture seminar
<https://www.unr.edu/neuroscience/research/center/seminar-series> at the
University of Nevada, Reno. If interested, please email Zoey Isherwood (
zisherwood at unr.edu) for the Zoom link and password.

Speaker:

Dr. Alex Puckett
<https://psychology.uq.edu.au/profile/6429/alex-puckett> (School
of Psychology, University of Queensland, Australia)

Title:

The functional architecture of human visual cortex

Time and Date:

October 16, 2020 at 3:00pm PST - Reno (October 17, 2020 at 8:00am AEST -
Brisbane)

Abstract:

Our rich, unified visual experience is made possible only through the
concerted activity of many, specialized cortical areas. In this talk, I
will discuss two distinct but complementary studies aimed at better
understanding the functional architecture of these visual areas in humans.
For the first, I will discuss a wavelet-based approach for parametrically
and subtly manipulating the complex statistical properties of natural
scenes with a high degree of control and flexibility. Using fMRI, I’ll then
show how our cortical visual areas are differentially sensitive to these
subtle manipulations. For the second project, I’ll detail our recent work
using fMRI data from a large cohort of participants (N = 181) to develop a
deep neural network able to predict the retinotopic organization of human
visual cortex. These predictions are made at the individual level, directly
on a surface model of the cortex, and from underlying anatomical
information alone.

--

*Zoey J. IsherwoodPostdoctoral ScholarSchool of Psychology, University of
Nevada, RenoRENO NV 89557 USA*