[visionlist] Vaegan seminar: Dr Jennifer Campos (University of Toronto)

Juno Kim juno.kim at unsw.edu.au
Fri Nov 20 17:17:52 -04 2020

Reminder: Please find below information about our upcoming Vaegan seminar at UNSW Sydney on Zoom. Please note the time difference; this event will occur at 10am Sydney time on 27 November 2020. Please note the time is Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT)

Please RSVP to receive the meeting password. If you are a regular attendee of the Vaegan seminar series, then no need to RSVP (the password is always the same).

Best regards, Juno Kim

Speaker: Dr Jennifer Campos (University of Toronto / Toronto Rehab)

Title: Multisensory self-motion perception in younger and older adults

Time: Friday Nov 27, 2020 10:00 AM Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (AEDT)

Location: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:

https://unsw.zoom.us/j/86844872681

Abstract: As we move through the world, our brain has the extraordinary task of seamlessly integrating information from across our various sensory systems including, vision, audition, our muscles and joints, and the acceleration detectors in our inner ear (vestibular). By optimally integrating these sensory inputs, this allows us to estimate self-movement parameters such as speed, distance, and heading direction with greater precision than any one sensory input alone. This seminar will present results from our research program aimed at quantifying how these multiple sensory inputs are integrated in the brain and how this supports behaviours such as standing balance, walking, and driving. The seminar will demonstrate how the unique benefits of basic perceptual/psychophysical tasks and state-of-the-art motion simulation and Virtual Reality technologies can be used to develop models of multisensory self-motion perception during basic tasks and more realistic behaviours. The seminar will also detail how multisensory self-motion perception changes in older age. A brief description of Toronto Rehab’s Challenging Environment Assessment Laboratory (CEAL) and other world class virtual reality and simulation facilities will also be provided.

Bio: Dr Jennifer Campos is a Canada Research Chair (Tier 2) in Multisensory Integration and Aging. Jenny is the Associate Director - Academic, Senior Scientist, Chief Scientist of the Challenging Environments Assessment Laboratory and an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology (University of Toronto). Jenny’s research focuses on enhancing safe mobility during walking and driving under realistic and challenging conditions. This includes understanding how age-related sensory impairments (e.g., vision, hearing) and cognitive impairments can increase the risk of falls and vehicle collisions (e.g., in healthy older adults, those with hearing loss, dementia). She uses virtual reality and simulation technologies to a) carefully recreate real-world conditions, to ensure the generalizability of research outcomes to real-world applications and b) adapt these technologies for training and rehabilitation interventions. Jenny is also the Director of the iDAPT Young Innovators youth outreach program.