[visionlist] Funding Opportunity: Smart and Connected Health

Horowitz, Todd (NIH/NCI) [E] todd.horowitz at nih.gov
Tue Nov 24 13:00:02 -04 2020

I would like to call your attention to a new funding opportunity announcement, https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-011.html. This is a re-issue of the Smart and Connected Health initiative, an interagency collaboration between NIH and NSF. While there are a number of great research opportunities in this announcement, I would particularly like to highlight a number of topics on the science of medical image perception.

Medical image interpretation is one of the seven “themes” of the program, and my institute (NCI) in particular is interested in: human visual cognition studies to: 1) Inform the development and deployment of augmented reality, virtual reality, and/or 3D printing in surgical interventions; 2) Develop methods to mitigate or reduce inter- and intra-observer variability in cancer image interpretation, particularly for modalities with relatively high levels of variability (e.g., ultrasound); and 3) Develop new methods to study human performance in large digital image sets (e.g., whole slide imaging, 3D CT/MRI).

thanks
Todd

Todd S. Horowitz, Ph.D.
Program Director, Psychologist
Basic Biobehavioral and Psychological Sciences Branch
Behavioral Research Program
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences
National Cancer Institute
9609 Medical Center Drive, 3E-116
Rockville, MD 20850
Office: 240-276-6963