[visionlist] Jobs: Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Visual Computing / ML & AI

Christian Richardt christian at richardt.name
Wed Dec 16 07:59:38 -04 2020

Dear all,

We are looking for a computer scientist to lead research, teach, and help
with the running of the Department of Computer Science
<https://www.bath.ac.uk/departments/department-of-computer-science/>
at the University
of Bath <https://www.bath.ac.uk>. We’re particularly looking for someone
with good complementarity to the Visual Computing group
<https://www.bath.ac.uk/projects/visual-computing/> that holds research
interests across computer vision and computer graphics with cross-over into
machine learning, human-computer interaction and applications in
entertainment and healthcare.

Our Department coordinates the Institute of Coding
<https://instituteofcoding.org/>, the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in
Accountable, Responsible and Transparent AI <https://cdt-art-ai.ac.uk/>,
and CAMERA: the Centre for the Analysis of Motion, Entertainment Research
and Applications <https://www.camera.ac.uk/>. Our standards for research
innovation are matched by adventurous teaching, and we have growing online
postgraduate programmes in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. We
have recently invested in new positions in exciting up and coming areas
including proof theory and personal fabrication. Our facilities include the
Lovelace Lab makerspace and a large motion capture studio.

We are a collaborative department who are actively working to build a
diverse and inclusive culture. As well as supervising PhD students, you’ll
have the opportunity to collaborate with our growing set of partners. These
include Rolls-Royce, DeepMind, the FCA, ONS, and universities including São
Paulo, Zhejiang and Tsinghua.

*What you will do as a Lecturer:*

*Research *– You’ll work with colleagues, students and researchers to
develop and publish papers. You’ll apply for research funding to support
your ideas. You’ll find ways of making your research available to society,
for example, by working with industry, collaborating with charities,
influencing policy makers, or delivering talks and demonstrations to excite
wider audiences.

*Teaching *– You’ll have a few courses to run. This includes designing and
delivering the content through lectures, tutorials, and labs. You’ll be
educating and inspiring some of the brightest students in the country. In
the current climate, your ability to innovatively deliver an engaging
experience and a supportive programme will be even more important.

*Helping with the running of the Department* – You’ll have a role to help
the Department run smoothly. You might help with student placements,
contribute to admissions, or lead a research team.

*Support you will receive:*

*Training for an HEA Fellowship* – We will enrol you into the Bath Course,
which will give you the skills and support you need for teaching. The
course lasts three years, after which you will become a Fellow of the
Higher Education Academy.

*Mentoring* – For the first three years, you’ll be assigned a mentor. They
will support you in your day-to-day job, and help you progress. You will
join one of our four research groups with opportunities to collaborate and
develop projects that enhance the profile of the group.

Opportunities to *collaborate and build on our networks* – As well as the
partners mentioned above, we have strong networks across sectors such as
entertainment, sport and healthcare.

Qualifications and skills that you need for this role:

   - a strong academic record
   - a PhD (completed, or about to complete)

You might have experience:

   - publishing papers
   - acquiring external project or fellowship funding
   - tutoring
   - giving lectures
   - leading a team or managing team members

You need to have shown the initiative and enthusiasm to:

*be a research leader* – you’re keen to lead research projects, and you may
even have led some already

*take your research further* – you look for ways your research can have
impact in the world. You might have done some public engagement, you might
have been involved in spinning out a company or your research may have been
taken up by another organisation

*Find out more*

If you have an informal question about the role please contact Prof. Mike
Fraser <mcf35 at bath.ac.uk> (mcf35 at bath.ac.uk). However, please submit your
formal application via the University website:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/Vacancy.aspx?ref=CC7999 (Visual Computing)
https://www.bath.ac.uk/jobs/Vacancy.aspx?ref=CC8002 (ML & AI)

Interviews are scheduled to take place beginning February 2021.

We aim to be an inclusive university, where *difference is celebrated*,
respected and encouraged. We truly believe that diversity of experience,
perspectives, and backgrounds leads to a better environment for our
employees and students, creating a learning environment and organisational
culture that *enhances health and wellbeing
<https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/wellbeing/>* across our community. We are
very proud to have recently received Ambassadors for Autism certification
<https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcements/university-receives-ambassadors-for-autism-certification/>
and are an accredited Disability Confident Leader; committed to building
disability confidence and supporting disabled staff
<http://www.bath.ac.uk/hr/working/disability-support/index.html>.