[visionlist] Missing the Gorilla: Radiology, Inattentional Blindness and the Law

Wolfe, Jeremy M.,Ph.D. jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 26 14:09:17 -04 2021

Last year, I gave the Xmas Lecture<https://bsnr.org.uk/news_and_events/news/38/bsnr_christmas_lecture/> for the British Society of Neuroradiologists https://bsnr.org.uk/news_and_events/news/38/bsnr_christmas_lecture/. Now they are following up with their Easter Lecture by a lawyer with interests in the intersection of our world, his world, and the world of medical practice. BSNR said they could open the talk up to our crowd so here is their announcement……

Title: Missing the Gorilla: Radiology, Inattentional Blindness and the Law

Speaker: Paul Sankey, Partner and Senior Solicitor, Enable Law

Paul Sankey is one of the leading Clinical Negligence experts in the United Kingdom, and has a particular interest in and knowledge of how the Law applies to Radiology.

How do radiologists get into trouble? What is an excusable mistake? How are radiologist mistakes viewed by the Law? And what can we do to protect ourselves? Following on from Professor Wolfe’s Christmas Lecture about why radiologists miss things, Paul will look at what can happen when radiologists do miss things. Paul will cover these issues and others, promising that in his talk you will fail to see some things that you would think you should have seen.

Paul is a fantastically engaging speaker and is well known from his appearances on television and in the media.
Registration is free by clicking here<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_a5n9rX1eTa6ULgash8Spaw>
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_a5n9rX1eTa6ULgash8Spaw

Jeremy M Wolfe, PhD
Professor of Ophthalmology & Radiology,
Harvard Medical School

Visual Attention Lab
Department of Surgery
Brigham & Women's Hospital

900 Commonwealth Ave
3rd floor
Boston, MA  02215

Phone:  617-525-3680

Best email: jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>
Backup: jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com<mailto:jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com>

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/

Jeremy M Wolfe, PhD
Professor of Ophthalmology & Radiology,
Harvard Medical School

Visual Attention Lab
Department of Surgery
Brigham & Women's Hospital

900 Commonwealth Ave
3rd floor
Boston, MA  02215

Phone:  617-525-3680

Best email: jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>
Backup: jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com<mailto:jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com>

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.
Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.