[visionlist] Post-Doctoral Position: Depth perception in the real-world

Laurie M Wilcox lwilcox at yorku.ca
Tue May 25 13:03:16 -04 2021

I am looking for a post-doctoral trainee to join our team ( Wilcox Lab<http://www.wilcoxlab.yorku.ca/>) at York University in Toronto,  to study how we see depth in, and interact with, complex natural scenes using physical stimuli and virtual/augmented reality.  The project will involve creative 3D psychophysical experimentation and the exciting opportunity to engage in parallel imaging studies in collaboration with Dr. Jody Culham at Western University.

The ideal person has some experience with binocular viewing geometry, and depth perception, and is familiar with psychophysical methods, programming and rendering software (e.g. Blender).  Strong mathematical, statistical and/or technical skills would be an advantage, as would some knowledge of current imaging techniques.  However, some combination of these, together with being a quick, enthusiastic learner will go a long way!

The salary for this position is competitive and the starting date is flexible but expected to be before November 2021.  The position is for two years, and I will take applications until the position is filled.

Additional Details

The Wilcox Lab is part of the York Centre for Vision Research<https://www.yorku.ca/cvr/> (CVR). The CVR is an international leader in visual and computer science. Work at the CVR is highly interdisciplinary and collaborative, rooted in a fundamental research programme that merges techniques in human psychophysics, visual neuroscience and computational theory.

The position is not contingent on additional funding, but we will submit an application to our VISTA grant program<https://vista.info.yorku.ca/opportunities/postdoctoral-fellowships/>.  VISTA (Vision: Science to Applications) is a collaborative program funded by the Canada First Research Excellence Fund, and it builds on York’s world-leading interdisciplinary expertise in biological science and computer vision.  Post-doctoral awards through this opportunity are generous and there are many benefits, such as travel awards, to being part of this program.

Please direct your application to Aishwarya Sudhama-Joseph at aish10 at yorku.ca<mailto:aish10 at yorku.ca>, with the subject line, Post Doc Application: Depth in the real-world. Make sure your application includes your c.v. and the names and contact information of 3 references.

Cheers
Laurie

Laurie M. Wilcox
Professor, Psychology