[visionlist] Postdoc position (full time, 3 years): Audio-visual perception of vehicles while navigating in traffic; Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz

Oberfeld-Twistel, Daniel oberfeld at uni-mainz.de
Wed Aug 4 08:23:39 -04 2021

The lab of Prof. Dr. Daniel Oberfeld-Twistel at the University of Mainz, Germany,  is happy to announce an open postdoctoral scientist position (full time; 36 months; net salary approx. 34,000 €/year after taxes, social security, health insurance). The position is available in a research project funded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft. Its aim is to deepen our understanding of the role of auditory and audiovisual perception in traffic safety. Pedestrians navigating in traffic must avoid to collide with vehicles. In such a situation, our sense of hearing provides important information in addition to available visual information. For example, we can auditorily detect a vehicle approaching us from behind and thus outside our field of view. While there is a large body of literature on time-to-collision (TTC) estimation and street-crossing decisions based on visual information, there are still significant gaps in our knowledge about collision avoidance based on auditory information, when visual information is additionally available or not.
Using state-of-the-art auditory and visual virtual-reality simulations of approaching vehicles, the experiments of the project will contribute to a broad range of open questions concerning fundamental and applied aspects of collision avoidance, such as pedestrian behavior in interaction with vehicles driving at constant speed or accelerating, or potential risks posed by the different acoustic characteristics of electric vehicles. We will develop observer models of audio-visual TTC-estimation and street-crossing decisions and conduct perceptual and behavioral evaluations of different auralization methods.
We are looking for a person with a Ph.D. and research experimence in a relevant area and motivated to make major contributions to the research strategy. Audio-visual psychophysics and modeling combined with virtual reality to address the real-world issue of pedestrian safety is an innovative approach and will need methodological thinking and additional development.
All details can be found here:
https://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/oberfeld/downloads/Postdoc_Audiovisual_perception_in_traffic_Uni-Mainz_2021.pdf

Best

Daniel

Prof. Dr. Daniel Oberfeld-Twistel
Johannes Gutenberg - Universitaet Mainz, Experimental Psychology &
Laboratoire ICube UMR7357 Université de Strasbourg
Wallstrasse 3
55122 Mainz
Germany

Phone ++49 (0) 6131 39 39274