[visionlist] Vaegan seminar: Prof Mark Willcox (UNSW Sydney)

Juno Kim juno.kim at unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 08:44:07 -04 2021

Dear friends,

Our first Vaegan seminar for Term 3 will be held at 1-2pm on Friday 17 September 2021 (AEST) and will be presented by Prof Mark Willcox (School of Optometry and Vision Science, UNSW Sydney). Prof Willcox' talk is entitled: "As I live and breathe!” - An overview of our COVID-19-related research.

This event will be held remotely via Zoom.

Meeting information and connection details are provided below.

Looking forward to seeing you there. NO RSVP REQUIRED (the meeting password is embedded in the link).

Best regards,

Juno

Title: "As I live and breathe!” - An overview of our COVID-19-related research

Speaker: Prof Mark Willcox (School of Optometry and Vision Science, UNSW Sydney)

Time/Date: 1-2pm Friday 17 September 2021 (AEST)

Location: via Zoom link below

https://unsw.zoom.us/j/83023210928?pwd=c2tBL2lsdFJMQldaTjNiT09DRVhTQT09

Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting<https://unsw.zoom.us/j/83023210928?pwd=c2tBL2lsdFJMQldaTjNiT09DRVhTQT09>
Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.
unsw.zoom.us

Abstract:  Little did we know when several of us went to Italy in February 2020 to attend the Gordon Research Conference on Cornea and Ocular Surface Biology and Pathology, that we would be rejigging our research in quite such dramatic ways by March 2020. In May 2020, we set up a coronavirus testing facility in the microbiology laboratories at the School. This has allowed us to interact with many new colleagues and companies. We have tested many disinfectants for their ability to kill the virus and ways of reducing transmission. We have shown that mask wear can reduce microbial transmission whilst sat at a slit lamp – but all masks are not equal; that essential oil vapours can reduce the infectivity of coronavirus; that the antimicrobial efficacy of some hand washes last longer than others, and that only some contact lens disinfectants can kill coronaviruses; and we have designed new antivirals. I’ll take you through these research highlights during the seminar.

Biography: I’m a medical microbiologist who has worked in ocular surface research at the School of Optometry and Vision Science UNSW since Methuselah was a boy! - well for over 28 years anyway. My laboratory develops new antimicrobials and antimicrobial coatings, and we have taken these into Phase III clinical trials. We also study how microbes of all sorts infect us and develop antimicrobial resistance, and how tears protect the eye.

Juno Kim | PhD (Psychology) | Associate Professor
School of Optometry and Vision Science
UNSW MEDICINE AND HEALTH
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
E: juno.kim at unsw.edu.au<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>  | T: +61 2 9065 1218<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>
Skype: junokim39
CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

School of Optometry and Vision Science Mission Statement:
‘Advancing vision and eye health in society through world-class, innovative, multi-disciplinary education and research'