[visionlist] Consciousness Talks on Unconsciousness & Inattention

Naotsugu Tsuchiya naotsu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 04:05:43 -04 2021

Hi,

Could you post the following to the email list? Thanks

Nao

Title: Consciousness Talks 9 - Unconsciousness & Inattention

Time: 12:00pm (AEDT)  Translate to your timezone.
<http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/event?lid=2158177%2C1668341%2C5368361&h=2158177&sts=27257100&sln=12-13.5&a=show>

Add to calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=cTVtNGc2ZGI5aHEybTk2c2lkcXZvNDRpZDAgbW9uYXNoY29uc2Npb3VzbmVzc2dyb3VwQG0&tmsrc=monashconsciousnessgroup%40gmail.com>

Zoom:
https://monash.zoom.us/j/86473424685?pwd=VDgrYkVTeElCRkxGdnQrZExoYXBMdz09

OR use Meeting ID: 864 7342 4685 and Passcode: 026242

YouTube Stream: https://youtu.be/Uz8AYdCOCWw

Link to slides
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HsyH8pXvQ4IEdEowrRl237s6OC3oUS3ubd5cWwYgb9A/edit?usp=sharing>
Chair: Hsin-I (Iris) Liao, NTT, JapanSpeakers:
Shao-Min (Sean) Hung, Caltech, USA

Title: The attentional requirement of unconscious processing

Bio. Shao-Min (Sean) Hung’s is currently a postdoc at Caltech in Shinsuke
Shimojo’s Lab. Prior to that, he received a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience
from the Duke-National University of Singapore (Duke-NUS) Medical School
working with Po-Jang (Brown) Hsieh. His work targets consciousness,
attention, and how they interact with each other. Specifically, he has been
interested in understanding whether unconscious processing plays a role in
shaping our brain and behavior. Psychophysics and fMRI are his main
experimental tools to study the subliminal sensory world.

Abstract. The tight relationship between attention and conscious perception
has been extensively researched in the past decades. However, whether
attentional modulation extended to unconscious processes remained largely
unknown, particularly when it came to abstract and high-level processing. I
will talk about a recent study where we utilized the Stroop paradigm to
show that task load gates unconscious semantic processing. In a series of
psychophysical experiments, the unconscious word semantics influenced
conscious task performance only under the low task load condition, but not
the high task load condition. Intriguingly, with enough practice in the
high task load condition, the unconscious effect reemerged. These findings
suggest a competition of attentional resources between unconscious and
conscious processes, challenging the automaticity account of unconscious
processing.

Huei-Ying (Tony) Cheng, National Chengchi University, Taiwan
Title: (Un)consciousness & (In)attention

Bio. Tony Cheng is an assistant professor at NCCU department of philosophy,
Taiwan. He is also affiliated with Research Center of Mind, Brain and
Learning, and directing Center for Phenomenology, at the same school. He
primarily works on consciousness in different sensory modalities,
especially somatosensory senses. For more information please see:
tonycheng.net

Abstract. In this talk, I shall not argue for any single thesis or theory
in the realm of the (un)consciousness and (in)attention. Instead I will
discuss specific examples where philosophers and psychologists can have
genuine collaborations in this area. Since issues concerning
phenomenological overflow is already too familiar for this audience, I will
briefly discuss it only, and focus on other issues that have not been
overworked. The exact contents are to be determined, but I will perhaps
focus on recent controversies over “sustained representation of
perspectival shape” (Morales, Bax, and Firestone, 2020, 2021).

Kind regards,

Chuyin

*Nao (Naotsugu) Tsuchiya*
Associate Professor

*Monash Institute of Cognitive and Clinical Neurosciences*
Attention and Memory Program
School of Psychological Sciences
Monash University
770 Blackburn
Monash Brain Imaging facility, Clayton, VIC 3800
Australia

T: +61 3 9905 4564
E: naotsugu.tsuchiya at monash.edu
W: homepage:  http://users.monash.edu.au/~naotsugt/Tsuchiya_Labs_Homepage

http://med.monash.edu.au/psych/email-sig/miccn-email-sig.jpg

<http://www.monash.edu/neuro-institute/>

2. Visiting Researcher at Department of Dynamic Brain Imaging,

Advanced Telecommunications Research (ATR), Japan
3. Visiting Researcher at CiNet, Osaka University, Japan
orcid.org/0000-0003-4216-8701