[visionlist] Focal distance / accommodation distance HTC Vive Pro

Gislin Dagnelie gislin at lions.med.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 11 14:03:28 -04 2021

Maarten and Daniel,

You are both correct, in the sense that the focal plane of the lens is actually
close to the OLED panel inside the HMD, but that the virtual image perceived by
the wearer is at a distance somewhere in the 1 m range.  This is done in most
HMDs, for 3 reasons:
1) Wearers are able to accommodate, so there is no reason to place the image at
optical infinity (i.e., the screen in the focal plane)
2) Bringing the display screen inside the focal range (creating a virtual image
closer than infinity) widens the wearer's field of view.  It also reduces the
resolution, but no one seems to be bothered by HMDs having a resolution on the
order of 20/70.
3) The optical quality of the Fresnel lenses is pretty poor, actually, and the
focal plane isn't flat.  By reducing the central resolution the poor peripheral
image quality becomes less noticeable.  I admit that this is speculation on my
part, but it seems plausible.

If you want to actually measure the focal length you'll have to follow
Maarten's example and take the system apart; then you can put the Fresnel lens
in an optical bench (or a lensometer if you're in an eyecare setting) and
you'll have your dioptric power = 1 / focal length.

The virtual image distance can be measured by placing a positive lens (4 D
should work fine) up against the Fresnel lens and in a dark room projecting the
HMD image onto a white wall.  Move the HMD until the image is sharp, measure
the distance from wall to auxiliary lens, and apply the well-known formula:

1/f = 1/i + 1/s

where 1/f = 4 (or whatever dioptric power you picked for your auxiliary lens),
and i is the image distance, i.e., from auxiliary lens to wall, in meters.

You'll then find s, the distance from the auxiliary lens to the virtual HMD
image, again in meters.

Hope  this makes sense.

Best, Gislin

On 11 Oct 2021 at 15:31, Maarten Wijntjes - IO <M.W.A.Wijntjes at tudelft.nl>