[visionlist] Special Issue of Behavior Research Methods

Kamran Binaee kbinaee at unr.edu
Wed Nov 3 23:03:15 -04 2021

Call for papers

Special Issue of Behavior Research Methods

Practical Issues in Eye tracking for Naturalistic Behavior

Dear all,

Following the ActivEye Workshop 2021<https://sites.google.com/view/activeye>, held at ACM Eye Tracking Research and Application conference (ETRA 2021), we’re inviting contributions for a Special Issue focused on Practical Issues in Eye Tracking for Naturalistic Behavior, to be published in the Journal Behavior Research Methods. The Special Issue will feature selected contributions from the workshop and is open to external contributions. All submissions will undergo the journal’s rigorous peer-review policy<https://www.springer.com/journal/13428/submission-guidelines> to ensure high quality and innovative publications

About the Special Issue

The goal of the Special Issue is to bring together contributions from oculomotor/vision, engineering, human factors, psychology, and computer science communities to share practical solutions, approaches, implementations, datasets, or theories that address the challenges in eye tracking measurements during naturalistic behavior.

Suggested Topics List

  *   Robust Gaze tracking in challenging environments: Topics can include algorithms for 2D and 3D gaze tracking of active participants outside of the lab, slippage detection and correction, run-time and post-hoc re-calibration, and validation techniques.

  *   Head pose tracking. We invite studies that take into account the synergy between the eye and head movements and especially encourage contributions to onboard head pose tracking systems, post-hoc head tracking techniques, and head + eye movement classification algorithms in order to better understand the underlying oculomotor mechanisms.

  *   World Camera Characteristics. Typically, portable eye-tracking devices have a limited field of view, poor optics, and low-quality world video. We encourage studies that address issues of image quality, dynamic range, wide FOV gaze tracking, color consistency, frame rate, spatial resolution, quality vs. size compromise, and modern depth-sensing techniques.

  *   Extending use cases to special populations. The day-to-day challenges of mobile eye-tracking are often exacerbated under certain experimental conditions and with specific participant populations. The latter can include children and older adults, who might have additional ergonomic and physiological constraints; or patient populations (e.g., those with strabismus or visual field damage).

  *   Gaze Tracking Data Annotation. Considering the growing demands for state-of-the-art deep learning techniques, a key feature of a usable dataset is that it is accurately and reliably annotated. We welcome submissions that include efforts for annotating different aspects of such datasets efficiently, including but not limited to different types of eye + head movements, external events, different eye regions for real or synthetic images, and scene objects.

  *   Best Practices and DIY. We encourage submissions on best practices for running large-scale data collection, such as comparisons of different calibration routines, efforts to enhance participant comfort, experimental procedures, UI design for system error tolerance, error handling, and notifications.

  *   Devices Ergonomy. Participant discomfort with most head-mounted trackers is a key obstacle in the collection of large-scale and outdoor data,  particularly for extended time periods. We welcome submissions where researchers in academia and industry share their experiences and potential solutions.

About the Journal

The journal Behavior Research Methods<https://www.springer.com/journal/13428> is a publication of the Psychonomic Society and publishes articles concerned with the methods, techniques, and instrumentation of research in experimental psychology. The journal focuses particularly on the use of computer technology in psychological research.

Impact Factor (2020): 6.242

Submission Deadline:

January 10, 2022

Special Issue Guest Editors: