[visionlist] Brainhack Australasia - Nov 29th - Dec 3rd 2021

Kelly Garner getkellygarner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 02:36:01 -04 2021

Hello everyone,

We are excited to announce that Brainhack Australasia will take place on *Nov
29th - Dec 3rd*! Brainhack Australasia is an online satellite event of the
international Brainhack Global <https://brainhack.org/global2021/> effort.

Brainhack is a unique conference format that brings researchers together
across the neuroscience disciplines to work together on open-source
projects for the benefit of neuroscience, to learn new skills, and make new
connections along the way. Additional information about Brainhacks can be
found in our recent publication in Neuron
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627321002312>.

We invite researchers of all career stages (faculty, postdocs, graduate
students etc.) to join us for 5 days of training and hacking. For more
specific information about the event, visit our website here
<https://brainhack-aus.github.io/global2021/>.

*Ready to sign up?*

1. Join the mattermost channel
<https://mattermost.brainhack.org/brainhack/channels/brainhack-australasia>(like
slack, but open-source). All announcements and comms about the event,
projects, sessions etc will be made through this channel.

2. Register for the opening meeting here
<https://uqz.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYof-6hqzItGNDIc1_g8ninsuLFDstlOpRO>
- meet your hacky peers and find out more about the projects

3. Want to skill up before hacking? Checkout our traintrack
<https://brainhack-aus.github.io/global2021/#traintrack> designed to take
you from 0 to hack-ready. Follow the registration links to sign up to the
sessions you want to attend.

4. Ready to jump straight into hacking? Check for available projects here
<https://brainhack.org/global2021/projects/>

5. Have a project for Brainhack? Check out the guidelines here
<https://github.com/brainhackorg/bhg-event-materials/blob/master/docs/leading_and_attending_to_brainhack_projects.md>
and submit a project here
<https://github.com/brainhackorg/global2021/issues/new?assignees=&labels=project&template=project-submission-template.yml>

*How does it work? *

- Brainhack Australasia 2021 welcomes project proposals related to
neuroscience, including but not limited to projects on reproducibility,
equity/inclusivity, big data, machine learning, and preprocessing and
analysis pipelines.

- Participants pitch their project ideas during the opening remarks.

- After project pitches, participants choose one or more projects to hack
on. You will have the opportunity to interact with and learn from others
with a shared interest in neuroscience and open science.

- Attendees can also participate in hands-on tutorial sessions throughout
the event to learn how to use new research tools.

- After the Brainhack, you will have learned new skills, contributed to new
projects and tools that will help advance neuroscientific research, and
your group may want to submit outputs as a conference paper at Brainhack
Proceedings <https://brainhack-proceedings.github.io/about/>.

- Brainhack Global is an inclusive meeting dedicated to a harassment-free
conference experience for everyone. Our code of conduct can be found here: Code
of Conduct <http://www.brainhack.org/code-of-conduct.html>

Please forward this to anyone else who may be interested!

Best,

The Brainhack Australasia 2021 Organizing Team

Kelly Garner, Christopher Nolan, Steffen Bollman, Johanna Bayer, Tom Close

--
Kelly Garner, PhD, she/her
Marie Curie Research Fellow

Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=nmeSlZkAAAAJ&hl=en>
ResearchGate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kelly_Garner>

*U**Q* *A**L**L**Y*   ::  *Supporting the diversity of sexuality, sex and
gender at UQ.*

--I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land upon which I live and
work. I pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging.--

--I seek to maintain a good work-life balance. If you receive this email
outside office hours then don’t feel you have to respond. Please expect the
like from me.--