[visionlist] Death of Michael Corballis

Robert P. O'Shea robertposhea.uni.leipzig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:59:58 -04 2021

It is with great sadness that I report the death of Auckland University’s
Emeritus Professor Michael Corballis on 13 November after a short illness.
His more than 450 research outputs, including 13 books, covered a great
breadth of research, including his discoveries in mental rotation, visual
imagery in split-brain people, handedness, laterality, development, music,
visual memory, and statistics. Mike was also a dedicated theoretician,
contributing influential ideas to areas including evolution of language,
laterality, consciousness, and mind-wandering. He had a h-index of 77. Mike
left at least 13 academic children and 49 academic grandchildren. He also
left two sons, one who followed the family business as a cognitive
neuroscientist, the other as a novelist and academic.

(For details of Mike’s education, career, prizes, honours, and research see
his Wikipedia biography or his official website from the External links
section of that article.)

I send condolences to Mike’s extended family and to all who were touched by
his kindness, generosity, brilliance, guidance, erudition, and sense of
humour. It is hard for me to imagine an academic world without his
stimulating presence. I miss him.

If you have any comments or any stories to tell of your experiences with
Mike, please reply-all to this message and I will send them to his family.

Sadly,
Robert.

Robert P. O’Shea
Guest Scientist, Institute of Psychology, Leipzig University
e-mail: robertposhea.uni.leipzig at gmail.com
Web: https://sites.google.com/site/oshearobertp/
Blog: http://robertposhea.blogspot.com.au/
Pronouns: he/him/his

The content of this e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may not
be sent to a third party without my written permission.