[visionlist] Special AP&P issue on working memory

Edward Ester eester at unr.edu
Mon Dec 20 23:03:22 -04 2021

Hi - could you please post the following announcement? Many thanks!
Special issue in Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics (AP&P):
Bridging barriers in working memory

Guest editors:
Edward Ester, University of Nevada, Reno (eester at unr.edu<mailto:eester at unr.edu>)
Jarrod Lewis-Peacock, University of Texas at Austin (jalewpea at utexas.edu<mailto:jalewpea at utexas.edu>)
Working memory enables the storage of information in a readily available state. This system is an integral component of general cognitive ability, as evidenced by robust correlations between individual differences in working memory performance and scores on tests of general intelligence and scholastic achievement. Moreover, disruptions in working memory performance are common in several psychiatric and neurological disorders, including Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Parkinson's Disease, and Schizophrenia. Thus, the basic architecture of working memory is of interest to scientists, educators, and clinicians alike.

Several recent papers have reviewed developments in the working memory literature. However, most of these reviews are focused on a specific domain of information or a specific experimental approach. These targeted reviews are in part a reflection of long-standing barriers in the working memory community where labs using different techniques, attend different conferences, publish in different journals, and rarely interact. To bridge these barriers, the editors of this special issue organized two Virtual Working Memory Symposia in the summers of 2020 and 2021 during the COVID-19 pandemic. We deliberately solicited presentations from researchers exploring the parameters of working memory using any experimental technique in any model system (i.e., humans, non-human primates, or rodents), on any topic related to working memory. The resulting breadth was one of the most exciting and stimulating aspects of the symposia, and our goal is to capitalize on this in this special issue. In doing so, we hope to provide readers with a much broader perspective on recent developments in the working memory literature, and to foster communication and inspire collaboration across traditionally siloed portions of the working memory research community.

We welcome submissions from researchers examining the basic properties of working memory (e.g., storage capacity, neural mechanisms) or its relationship to other cognitive systems (e.g., attention, long-term memory). There are no restrictions on methods (e.g., behavior, modeling, electrophysiology, neuroimaging) or model systems (i.e., humans, non-human primates, or any other system).