[visionlist] Prosopagnosia Postdoctoral Research Position at Harvard Medical School/VA Boston

Joe DeGutis degutis at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 9 14:32:12 -05 2022

*Postdoctoral Research Position at Harvard Medical School/VA Boston
Healthcare System*
Using behavior, EEG, and fMRI/DTI to characterize developmental
prosopagnosia subtypes and examining differential responses to cognitive
training treatments

*Objectives of the Project:* Developmental prosopagnosia (DP) is defined by
lifelong face recognition deficits and can be associated with significant
social and employment difficulties. DP is a heterogeneous disorder and the
cognitive and neural mechanisms underlying DP remain to be characterized.
Also, though there have been attempts to enhance face recognition in DP,
treatment effects have been modest, and they have yet to be individualized
to specific DP deficits. In this innovative cross-disciplinary and
translational project, we seek to use converging methods to a) better
characterize face perception heterogeneity in DPs using measures of
holistic face processing, feature processing, and eye-tracking and b)
examine the neural mechanisms of differences within DPs and between
DPs/controls using EEG, fMRI, and diffusion tensor imaging. Finally, to
enhance the treatment of DP, we seek to test whether novel perceptual and
memory training programs matched to individual DP deficits are more
effective than applying the same treatment to all DPs.

postdoctoral researcher to join our team and be involved in several aspects
of this innovative prosopagnosia characterization/training study. In
particular, the postdoctoral researcher will perform and analyze EEG
recordings as well as help oversee a full-time research assistant that will
perform pre/post cognitive assessments as well as fMRI/DTI scans. The
postdoctoral researcher will spend the majority of their time acquiring and
analyzing pre/post training EEG data. In addition to this main project, the
postdoctoral researcher will have several opportunities to perform
independent projects in healthy populations, developmental/acquired
prosopagnosics, and will also have the opportunity to access several large
existing behavioral and neuroimaging datasets. Finally, the postdoctoral
researcher will be expected to be a first author and contributing author on
several manuscripts, present their work at national/international
conferences, and assist with grant preparation. This position will be based
at the VA Boston Healthcare System in Jamaica Plain, MA. We are looking for
someone who can start in July/August 2022. The position will be for one
year with the option of 1-2 additional years. The position will provide an
excellent opportunity for training in EEG (Dr. Kevin Spencer), individual
differences in face recognition, and cognitive rehabilitation (Dr. Joe
DeGutis). Additional training opportunities with team members in structural
MRI/DTI (Dr. David Salat) and functional MRI (Dr. Michael Esterman) are
available. This position will uniquely prepare the individual for either
academic or medical school model career paths.

*Our Team:* This project involves working with an experienced group of
cognitive neuroscientists with expertise in face recognition/prosopagnosia
(Joe DeGutis and Brad Duchaine), EEG (Kevin Spencer), and structural and
functional MRI (Mike Esterman and David Salat). It also involves being a
member of the Boston Attention and Learning Laboratory, an
interdisciplinary group of ~10 cognitive neuroscientists and clinical
psychologists/neuropsychologists interesting in characterizing the
cognitive and neural mechanisms underlying deficits in patient populations
and developing theoretically motivated, innovative cognitive training, TMS,
and pharmacological treatments.

*Background required:* Ph.D. in experimental psychology, cognitive
neuroscience, neuroscience, or related field.
*Skills:* Technical skills and prior research experience in EEG is
required. A background in statistical analysis of behavioral
and EEG is also required, and coding experience is preferred.
*Salary:* based on NIH pay scale for postdoctoral fellows (
https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-049.html)

**We are able to sponsor non-US citizens.
**Our lab values diversity and inclusion and is striving to attract and
retain diverse staff. We encourage members of traditionally
underrepresented groups, including Race and Ethnicity, Gender, Religion,
age, or disability, to apply.

If interested, please email Dr. Joe DeGutis (degutis at hms.harvard.edu) with
your CV and cover letter by April 30, 2022. Interviews will begin shortly
thereafter.

Best regards,

Joe