[visionlist] Postdoctoral Fellowship in Visual Psychophysics and Retinal Function available at the University of Rochester

Debbie Shannon dshannon at ur.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:56:11 -04 2022

David Williams and William Merigan at the University of Rochester seek a
neuroscientist to join their collaboration to discover the perceptual
roles of individual retinal circuits in the primate retina.  There is
considerable controversy about the contributions each of the 20+ classes
of ganglion cells make to visual experience in part because we have not
had a viable method to directly stimulate cells of known class in the
awake behaving primate.  Using fluorescence adaptive optics imaging of
the calcium responses to visual stimuli of single retinal ganglion
cells, we have recently shown that single cells can be classified in the
living primate eye. These cells can be subsequently stimulated
optogenetically, offering the exciting possibility of conducting
psychophysical experiments on single cells to reveal the visual role of
each ganglion cell class.  These experiments have potential implications
not only for the basic neuroscience of vision but also for new
approaches to restore vision in the blind. The most attractive
candidates will have completed a PhD in the area of visual neuroscience.
We are especially interested in candidates with experience applying
psychophysics in animal models. Experience with neurophysiology,
adaptive optics retinal imaging, calcium imaging, and/or optogenetics,
is desirable but not required.  The position provides an excellent
opportunity to broaden your skills to include those methodologies.
The Williams and Merigan laboratories are part of the Advanced Retinal
Imaging Alliance (ARIA), a community of more than two dozen scientists
and engineers who use advanced optical technologies to probe retinal
function.  ARIA is closely affiliated with the Center for Visual
Science, the Flaum Eye Institute, the Institute of Optics, Brain and
Cognitive Science, and Neuroscience. The University of Rochester has 45
vision scientists, many with international reputations including Farran
Briggs, Greg DeAnglelis, John Foxe, Krystel Huxlin, Susana Marcos,
Juliette McGregor, Martina Poletti, Michele Rucci, Duje Tadin and Jesse
Schallek among others, providing a vibrant and highly collaborative
community for training in vision science. We enjoy unusually strong
links between our signature strengths in vision science and optics,
providing unique opportunities for postdocs to merge visual science and
optical engineering. Rochester is a very affordable city that hosts a
superb jazz festival annually and has excellent opportunities for
outdoor adventures in the nearby Finger Lakes Region and the Adirondack
Mountains.  Salary support will be provided by a MURI grant from the Air
Force Office of Scientific Research for a minimum of 3 years and will
follow the NIH scale for postdoctoral fellows.
Applicants should submit a statement of interest, curriculum vitae, and
names of three references to:
David Williams
Center for Visual Science
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0270
david at cvs.rochester.edu

The University of Rochester is an equal opportunity employer.

--
Debbie Shannon, Administrator
Center for Visual Science