[visionlist] Fellow intern in Geolocalising Knowledge Graphs - IIT Genova, Italy

Pavis Pavis at iit.it
Thu Mar 3 10:52:27 -04 2022

Fellow intern in Geolocalising Knowledge Graphs - (22000028)

Project: MEMEX – EU PROJECT
Commitment & contract: collaboration contract, up to 5 months
Location: GENOVA, ITALY

WHO WE ARE
At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarter is strictly inter-connected with our 11 centres around Italy and two outer-stations based in the US for a truly interdisciplinary experience.

YOUR TEAM
You’d be working in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group, where Computer Vision, Computational Intelligence experts, Physicist and Engineers collaborate, each with their own expertise, to carry out common research.
The Pattern Analysis and Computer Vision (PAVIS) Research Line is coordinated by Dr. Alessio Del Bue who has extensive experience in Artificial Intelligence (AI) approaches to understand the physical space and the human behaviors within it.
The research focuses on Spatial AI (Perceive and understand autonomously the real physical world, both static and dynamic, with its corresponding spatial) and Social AI (Perceive and understand humans and their behaviors as observed by cameras in relation to the physical spaces they are interacting with).
We are looking for a fellowship candidate from either MSc or PhD programs to join our team and work on the MEMEX EU Project (https://memexproject.eu/en/) for the research and development of Knowledge Graphs to locate Cultural Heritage. Within PAVIS research line of IIT, you will work closely within a small team (~5 people) working on the MEMEX project with close supervision and a team spirit for a common objective. Beyond this you will receive experience in working in a Europe wide multi-partner consortium with social, technological and research partners.

Specifically, the research and development will focus on one or more of the following:
Detection via retrieval of Cultural objects
Exploiting image scene graphs for detection of Cultural objects
Text-based detection of objects in images (zero-shot learning)
Few-shot Cultural Heritage detection using Knowledge graphs within AR
The activities may include building to improve open-access and crowd-sourced information such as Wikidata, OpenStreetMap, and Mapillary.

Within the team, your main responsibilities will be:
Develop algorithms and research to detect and locate Cultural Heritage;
Support the activities of the MEMEX project and its ambitious objectives;
Produce demonstrable output through app demos and/or publications.

WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SHINE
Achieved or working towards MSc or PhD in Computer Science (or related field);
Experience in working with graphs;
Proficiency in coding in Python;
English spoken and written.

EXTRA AWESOME
Knowledge of Deep Learning libraries (PyTorch/Tensorflow);
Knowledge of Deep learning graph libraries (e.g. PyTorch Geometric, DGL);
Knowledge of Neo4j or similar Knowledge Graph packages.

COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Competitive salary package for international standards
Wide range of staff discounts
Flexible working time
Candidates from abroad or Italian citizens who permanently work abroad and meet specific requirements, may be entitled to a deduction from taxable income of up to 90% from 6 to 13 years.

WHAT’S IN FOR YOU?
An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs!
If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that, especially during your relocation!
If you are a startupper or a business-minded person, you will find some exceptionally gifted professionals ready to nurture and guide your attitude and aspirations.
If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the
improvement and well-being of society! We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in! They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission!
If you feel this tickles your appetite for change, do not hesitate and apply!

HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application using the online form here https://iit.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?lang=it&job=22000028 and including a detailed CV (max 2pg), university transcripts, cover letter (max 300 words description of interest, outlining motivation, experience and qualifications) and contact details of 2 references.
Application’s deadline: 26th March 2022

We inform you that the information you provide will be used solely for the purposes of evaluating and selecting professional profiles in order to meet the requirements of Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia.
Your data will be processed by Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genoa, Via Morego 30, acting as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security.
Please also note that, pursuant to articles 15 et. seq. of European Regulation no. 679/2016 (General Data Protection Regulation), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (phone Tel: +39 010 28961 - email: dpo at iit.it - kindly note that this e-mail address is exclusively reserved for handling data protection issues. Please, do not use this e-mail address to send any document and/or request of information about this opening).