[visionlist] [Meetings] CRNS Talk Series (4) - Live Talk by Prof. Mehul Bhatt - Orebro University - Sweden

Amir Aly amir.kalfat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:14:07 -04 2022

Dear All

* Apologies for cross-posting*

The *Center for Robotics and Neural Systems* (CRNS) is pleased to announce
the talk of *Prof. **Mehul Bhatt* from *Orebro University* - Sweden on
Wednesday, March 16th  from *11:00 am* to *12:30* *pm* (*London time*) over
*Zoom*.

>> *Events*: The CRNS talk series will cover a wide range of topics
including social and cognitive robotics, computational neuroscience,
computational linguistics, cognitive vision, machine learning, AI, and
applications to autism. More details are available here:

 https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/robotics-neural-systems/whats-on
<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.plymouth.ac.uk%2Fresearch%2Frobotics-neural-systems%2Fwhats-on&data=04%7C01%7Camir.aly%40plymouth.ac.uk%7Ccc2c14f8cea84b5ca57008d9e66bc8f7%7C5437e7eb83fb4d1abfd3bb247e061bf1%7C1%7C0%7C637794174088133015%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=WvbN9fuNT6UfUlocuG0asp9iUHev227dEAHAFz00p34%3D&reserved=0>

>> *Link for the next event (No Registration is Required)*:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://plymouth.zoom.us/j/95748572834?pwd=M05YTXhTVnBOK0R6WTlPaDJnTm5GUT09&from=addon

>> *Title of the talk*:  Artificial visual intelligence: Perceptual
commonsense for human-centred cognitive technologies

*Abstract*:

This talk addresses computational cognitive vision and perception at the
interface of (spatial) language, (spatial) logic, (spatial) cognition, and
artificial intelligence. Summarizing recent works, I present general methods
for the semantic interpretation of dynamic visuospatial imagery with an
emphasis on the ability to perform abstraction, reasoning, and learning
with cognitively rooted structured characterizations of commonsense
knowledge pertaining to space and motion. I will particularly highlight:

   - explainable models of computational visuospatial commonsense at the
   interface of symbolic and neural techniques;
   - deep semantics, entailing systematically formalised declarative
   (neurosymbolic) reasoning and learning with aspects pertaining to space,
   space-time, motion, actions & events, spatio-linguistic conceptual
   knowledge; and
   - general foundational commonsense abstractions of space, time, and
   motion needed for representation mediated (grounded) reasoning and learning
   with dynamic visuospatial stimuli.

The presented works –demonstrated in the backdrop of applications in
autonomous driving, cognitive robotics, visuoauditory media, and cognitive
psychology– are intended to serve as a systematic model and general
methodology integrating diverse, multi-faceted AI methods pertaining
knowledge representation and reasoning, computer vision, and machine
learning towards realising practical, human-centred, computational visual
intelligence. I will conclude by highlighting a bottom-up interdisciplinary
approach –at the confluence of cognition, AI, Interaction, and design
science– necessary to better appreciate the complexity and spectrum of
varied human-centred challenges for the design and (usable) implementation
of (explainable) artificial visual intelligence solutions in diverse
human-system interaction contexts.

*Keywords*. Cognitive Vision; Knowledge Representation and Reasoning;
Commonsense Reasoning; Deep Semantics; Declarative Spatial Reasoning; Com-
puter Vision; Computational Models of Narrative; Human-Centred Computing
and Design; Spatial Cognition and AI; Visual Perception; Multimodal
Interaction; Autonomous Driving; HRI; Visuo-Auditory Media; Visual Art

>> If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me,

Regards

*Dr. Amir Aly*

Lecturer in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics

Center for Robotics and Neural Systems (CRNS)

School of Engineering, Computing, and Mathematics

Room B332, Portland Square, Drake Circus, PL4 8AA

University of Plymouth, UK