[visionlist] Post-doc position - University of Nottingham

Neil Roach Neil.Roach at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 10:54:42 -04 2022

Research Fellow (Fixed term)
Closing Date: 13th April 2022
School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, UK
Salary: £31406-40927 per annum (pro-rata if applicable) depending on skills and experience. Salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance.
The Visual Neuroscience Group at the University of Nottingham invites applications for a post-doctoral research assistant to work on a project funded by the Macular Society. The aim of the project is to develop digital image processing solutions to enhance visual capacity in patients with advanced macular disease.

We have previously identified an image manipulation that can improve the visibility of both static and moving targets (1). We plan to develop this technique, along with other digital image manipulation algorithms, to enable assistive technology for patients with central vision loss. Our ultimate goal is to improve the ability of patients to see fine detail, read faster or more accurately and recognise the faces of family and friends using these approaches.

  1.  Patrick, J.A., Roach, N.W. and McGraw, P.V., 2019. Temporal modulation improves dynamic peripheral acuity. Journal of Vision, 19(13), pp.12-12. https://doi.org/10.1167/19.13.12

We are seeking a candidate with a doctoral degree in vision science, medicine, optometry, psychology, cognitive science or a related field. A strong interest in image processing is essential, along with experience running human psychophysical experiments in Python or Matlab. Previous experience working with patient groups would be desirable, but is not strictly essential.

The post will be available on a fixed term basis for 23 months.

You will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and a personal statement outlining why you are interested in the post.

Informal enquiries can be directed to either Prof Paul McGraw (paul.mcgraw at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:paul.mcgraw at nottingham.ac.uk>) or Dr Neil Roach (neil.roach at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:neil.roach at nottingham.ac.uk>). Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted.

Previous applicants to post SCI549021 need not apply.

Link to online application: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/currentvacancies/ref/SCI549021X1

Our University has always been a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We warmly welcome those of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs – indeed this very diversity is vital to our success, it is fundamental to our values and enriches life on campus. We welcome applications from UK, Europe and from across the globe. For more information on the support we offer our international colleagues, see our <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/index..aspx> Moving to Nottingham pages.<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/international-applicants/international-applicants.aspx>

For successful international applicants, we provide financial support for your visa and the immigration health surcharge, plus an interest-free loan to help cover the cost of immigration-related expenses for any dependants accompanying you to the UK. For more information please see the our webpage on Financial support for visas and the immigration health surcharge<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/international-applicants/immigration/financial-support-for-visas-and-the-immigration-health-surcharge.aspx>.

attachment.

where permitted by law.