[visionlist] PostDoc position in Eye movements and perception

Karl Gegenfurtner gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de
Mon Mar 28 06:53:45 -04 2022

A fully funded Postdoctoral position is available in Giessen, Germany,
to join the group of Karl Gegenfurtner at the Psychology Department
of Giessen University. The position in within a cooperation with Facebook/
Meta Reality Labs. The project is led by Alexander Goettker, Doris Braun
and Karl Gegenfurtner, and concerns the quantification of visual perception
during eye movements. We will investigate low-level and mid-level perception
during both saccadic and pursuit eye movements.

Some examples of our recent work on eye movements:

Goettker, A. & Gegenfurtner, K.R. (2021) A change in perspective: the interaction of saccadic and pursuit eye movements. Vision Research, 188, 283-296.

Goettker, A., Pidaparthy, H., Braun, D., Elder, J. & Gegenfurtner, K.R. (2021) Ice hockey spectators use contextual cues to guide predictive eye movements. Current Biology, 31, R991-R992.

Braun, D.I., Schütz & Gegenfurtner, K.R. (2021) Age effects on saccadic suppression of luminance and color. Journal of Vision, 21(6):11.

Goettker, A.,Braun, D.I., Schütz, A.C. & Gegenfurtner, K R. (2018) Execution of saccadic eye movements affects speed perception. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 115(9):2240-2245.

The ideal candidate would have a strong background in visual psychophysics
and eye tracking. The lab offers excellent facilities for studying visual perception and
motor control. We are part of a larger research group on perception and action
(http://www.sfb-perception.de) with excellent links to scientists within Europe and
world wide. The group offers a stimulating, multi-national and multi-disciplinary research
environment for young scientists (https://bit.ly/gipeople). The members of our team
can be found at https://bit.ly/gegenfurtner).

A doctoral degree in psychology or related dicipline is a prerequisite.
The city of Giessen is a small university town, located just 60 km
north of Frankfurt, close to the center of Europe.

Starting date is flexible, but sooner is preferred over later. June or July would be ideal.
The position is for a fixed term of two years.

Apply via the online form at https://www.uni-giessen.de/karriere/stellenangebote/application
by April 21st 2022, indicating reference number 248/06. Informal inquiries are encouraged
and should be sent by email to gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de.

We look forward to having you on our team!

Alex, Doris and Karl

--
Prof. Karl Gegenfurtner, Abteilung Allgemeine Psychologie
Justus-Liebig-Universität, Otto-Behaghel-Str. 10, 35394 Giessen
phone:  +49 641 9926100	  mailto:gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de
fax:    +49 641 9926119	  http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/karl