[visionlist] REMINDER: Tenth SIPTA School on Imprecise Probabilities (15-19 August 2022, University of Bristol)

Arthur Van Camp arthur.vancamp at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 11:13:35 -04 2022

Tenth SIPTA School on Imprecise Probabilities

https://ep-imp.gitlab.io/sipta-summer-school-2022/

Tenth SIPTA School

The tenth SIPTA School will take place in Bristol, UK, from 15 to 19 of August 2022. It will introduce the main theoretical aspects of imprecise probability models, decision making using such models, statistics in imprecise probability theory, the use and applications of imprecise probabilities in artificial intelligence, and evaluating imprecise forecasts. Leading experts in these topics will lecture on the main concepts and techniques associated with their area of expertise, in a friendly environment favouring interaction between participants.

Tentative schedule:

  *   Monday, 15 August, first session (1 hour): "Why imprecise probabilities” by Ben Levinstein
  *   Monday, 15 August, second session (all day except first hour): “Introduction to imprecise probabilities” by Gert de Cooman
  *   Tuesday, 16 August (all day): “Decision making” by Teddy Seidenfeld
  *   Wednesday, 17 August (morning): “Statistics and imprecise probabilities” by Thomas Augustin
  *   Wednesday, 17 August (afternoon): excursion
  *   Thursday, 18 August (all day): “Imprecise probabilities in artificial intelligence” by Alessandro Antonucci, Cassio de Campos and Fabio Cozman
  *   Friday, 19 August (all day): “Accuracy for imprecise probabilities” by Jason Konek and Ben Levinstein

Scholarship/Bursaries

If you are a student who would like to attend but would find the cost to be a hardship, we would like to help. In addition to waiving the fee for registration, we may be able to defray travel expenses. When filling out the registration form, please take care to: (1) indicate that you are a student, and (2) check the box expressing interest in being considered.

Participation and registration

We have a limited number of seats remaining for in-person attendance (~25), but virtually unlimited virtual capacity. The fee for virtual registration will be £25. We have two options for in-person attendance: Room and Board (£250) and Lunch Only (£25).

  *   attending virtually: £25
  *   attending in-person Room and Board: £250
  *   attending in-person Lunch Only: £25

To register, please fill out this registration form<https://forms.gle/ZbKExcw7GKCGNq9Z7> by 15 May 2022. You will need a small statement explaining your research interests (in text format) and a short CV (as a pdf or document file).

Accommodation and meals

For in-person participants, we have two registration options:

Room and Board: the fee is £250. This includes student accommodation at Goldney Hall<https://goo.gl/maps/rqPF142xbiXhitpN9> for the nights of 14 – 19 August (i.e., ending the morning of the 20th). Breakfast will be included (at Goldney Hall), and we will also cater lunch every day of the summer school.

Lunch Only: the fee is £25. This option includes the same daily catered lunches as the Room and Board option, but no accommodation or breakfast.

Note on Accommodation at Goldney Hall: Not all of the available rooms have an en suite bathroom; some rooms will share a communal bathroom. If you need a private bathroom, please indicate this on the form and give a brief explanation of why. We will do our best to assign rooms to accommodate everyone who has a compelling need.

Important dates

The registration via this form<https://forms.gle/ZbKExcw7GKCGNq9Z7> closes 15 May 2022.
The registration fee should be paid before 1 June 2022. We will send out payment instructions to registered participants in due course.

We are looking forward to a great summer school!

Kind regards,
Jason Konek, chair
Fabio Cozman, external advisor
Kevin Blackwell