[visionlist] phiVis: Philosophy of Vision Science (VSS Satellite Event)

Chaz Firestone chaz at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 27 15:44:45 -04 2022

Dear colleagues,

I'm excited to announce (the second iteration of) a satellite event of
the annual meeting of the Vision Sciences Society: **phiVis –
Philosophy of Vision Science**.

Recent years have seen a resurgence of interest in the intersection
between vision science and the philosophy of perception. But
opportunities for conversation between vision scientists and
philosophers are still hard to come by. The phiVis workshop is a forum
for promoting and expanding this interdisciplinary dialogue.
Philosophers of perception can capitalize on the experimental knowledge
of working vision scientists, while vision scientists will have an
opportunity to connect their research to longstanding philosophical
questions. The workshop will feature short talks by philosophers of
perception that engage with the latest research in vision science,
followed by prepared comments by vision scientists, on topics such as
probabilistic representation, multisensory perception, the relationship
between low-level and high-level vision, and more. Our first event, at
VSS 2021, drew nearly 300 attendees; we are now gearing up for Round 2!

Our event will take place on **Monday, May 16, from 3:30pm-5:30pm ET**,
and will be held **onsite at VSS** (at the TradeWinds Island Grand
Resort in St Pete Beach, FL). The in-person event is open to VSS
attendees; a limited number of non-VSS-attendees may also attend
virtually. The event will feature the following talks:

**Mohan Matthen (University of Toronto): Material Objects in Multimodal
Perception**
with comments by Viola Störmer (Dartmouth)

**Nico Orlandi (UC - Santa Cruz): Bayesian Probabilities in Perception:
A Critical Analysis**
with comments by Frank Tong (Vanderbilt)

**Jake Beck (York) and Sam Clarke (University of Pennsylvania):
Perceiving Numbers**
with comments by Stella Lourenco (Emory)

Also on the program is Megan Peters (UC - Riverside), who will serve as
chair. The event will conclude with an open-ended discussion for all
participants, about the themes of each talk and more generally about
ways philosophy and vision science can most productively interact.
Finally, there will be a wine reception following the event,
transitioning into the start of VSS’s “Demo Night”.

You can learn more about the phiVis workshop at our website
— [www.phivis.org](https://www.phivis.org/) — and also in the
attached flyer.

**Registration is free**, though we ask that you please formally sign up
to attend through our registration links: [in
person](https://www.phivis.org/events/phivis-in-person/form);
[virtual](https://www.phivis.org/events/phivis-online/form). These links
can also be found on the workshop's website.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Chaz Firestone
Kevin Lande
co-organizers, phiVis

--
Chaz Firestone
Assistant Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences