[visionlist] [cvnet] [External] Re: Abbreviations

William K. Stell wstell at ucalgary.ca
Fri Apr 29 16:05:22 -04 2022

Sad to say, I agree with Michael 150%.
I've come to expect sloppy use of language, in writing and speaking in the media (pl. - hahaha) - but it's not pedantic to expect that scholarly journals will be bastions of correctness, or at least clarity.
I do battle on this front, regularly, as pre-submission editor for researchers in Asia and as unpaid reviewer for journals, and I presume that all of us are in similar positions.
Keep up the fight!
Bill

--

“Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you will

 help them become what they are capable of becoming.”

      - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

--

William K. Stell, PhD, MD

Professor Emeritus, Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy

Member, Lions Sight Centre and Hotchkiss Brain Institute (HBI)

Associate Member, Alberta Children's Hospital Research Institute (ACHRI)

University of Calgary - Cumming School of Medicine

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

(Current address): 128 Waldron Avenue, Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, T1S 1C8

(Current tel) :  +1-403-938-9339 [afternoon and evenings only; residential land-line, no texting or voice messages]

http://www.ucalgary.ca/research4kids/members/stell_full

The views and opinions expressed above are the personal property of the writer and are not to be shared by the addressee without permission. They are also not necessarily those of University of Calgary, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.