[visionlist] Online seminar: Prof Masataka Watanabe (Univ Tokyo) on consciousness

YOSHIDA, Masatoshi myoshi at chain.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon Jun 13 23:14:51 -04 2022

Dear all,

The 23rd CHAIN seminar will be held at 9 am Friday 24, June 2022 (Japan
Standard Time).
It will be presented by Prof Masataka Watanabe (Univ Tokyo).
His talk is entitled: "Solving the Hard Problem and Closing the Explanatory
Gap with Natural Laws of Consciousness - Towards a Scientific Investigation
of Consciousness and Mind-Uploading -"

This event will be held remotely via Zoom.
Registration is needed.
Meeting information is provided below.
Looking forward to seeing you there.

Best regards,
Masatoshi

--------------------------
The 23rd CHAIN seminar

Time:
9 am-10:30 am Friday 24, June 2022 (Japan Standard Time)

Zoom registration:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEpf-6qpjojGNeQDTfZ1Y9YNAc17bYgJLYq

Speaker:
Prof Masataka Watanabe (Univ Tokyo)

Title:
Solving the Hard Problem and Closing the Explanatory Gap with Natural Laws
of Consciousness
- Towards a Scientific Investigation of Consciousness and Mind-Uploading -

Abstract:
Natural laws, such as the principle of the constancy of light velocity, are
vital to science. If we trace any scientific theory back to its origins, we
will end up with these natural laws. If that is the case, we should take it
for granted that the science of consciousness requires one too. The science
of consciousness is our very first attempt to bind the objective with the
subjective; the objective is what can be observed when we insert a
recording electrode, while the subjective comes in the form of subjective
experience and poses the question of what a neural network is experiencing
in the first person. As soon as we acknowledge its necessity, both the
explanatory gap and the hard problem vanish into thin air; the natural law
is what closes the gap and nullifies the difficulty of the problem.

I explain the above argument and further propose an experimental approach
to validate such laws of nature, which, as a byproduct, results in a viable
method for mind uploading. The key to the approach is a totally new type of
BMI that enables reading and writing information with unprecedented
precision.