[visionlist] Special Issue of Vision Research on "Seeing Colors in Nature"

Sérgio Nascimento smcn at fisica.uminho.pt
Wed Jun 22 10:33:12 -04 2022

*Seeing Colors in Nature*

In this Special Issue, we seek contributions that address seeing colors in
nature by both vertebrates and invertebrates. We encourage analyses from
different disciplines – including behavior, psychophysics,
electrophysiology, and genetics – and from a variety of viewpoints –
including evolution, engineering, and aesthetics.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/vision-research/about/forthcoming-special-issues

*Guest editors:*

Karen Cheney, David Foster, Almut Kelber, Hidehiko Komatsu and Sérgio
Nascimento (coordinating editor)

*Special issue information:*

Color vision is found in many animals including insects, spiders, fish,
amphibia, reptiles, birds, mammals, and humans. It underpins the detection,
discrimination, and recognition of materials, objects, and other organisms
by their reflected light. Yet the spectral properties of light in natural
environments are often complex and unpredictable, and a challenge for any
sensory system to deal with.

How well matched is color vision to real-world spectra and their variation?
Are biological solutions just “good enough” or better than necessary? For
example, is the gamut of colors in nature smaller or larger than expected
from the photoreceptor responses in humans? Likewise in other mammals,
birds, fish, and insects? How are brains adapted to these natural colors?
Are they processed differently from less natural ones? Are colours of
moving objects processed in specific ways? Do they affect inferences about
material properties? And how does the daily and seasonal variation of
natural lighting affect color sensing and processing?

In this Special Issue, we seek contributions that address seeing colors in
nature by both vertebrates and invertebrates. We encourage analyses from
different disciplines – including behavior, psychophysics,
electrophysiology, and genetics – and from a variety of viewpoints –
including evolution, engineering, and aesthetics.

We are keen to promote an integrative approach where specialized findings
are set in a larger, more general and less technical context. Papers on
original theoretical and experimental research are welcome, along with
reviews anchored in the established literature.

Recent issues of Vision Research
https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/vision-research and the Guide for
Authors
https://www.elsevier.com/journals/vision-research/0042-6989/guide-for-authors
should
be consulted for style and subject coverage.

*Manuscript submission information:*

The Journal’s submission system is now open for receiving submissions to
our Special Issue. To ensure that all manuscripts are correctly identified
for inclusion into the special issue, it is important to select “*VSI:* *Seeing
Colors in Nature”* when you reach the “Article Type” step in the submission
process.

Please submit your manuscript via
https://www.editorialmanager.com/vr/default1.aspx
<https://www.editorialmanager.com/ridd/default1.aspx> before *31 January
2023*.

All the submissions deemed suitable to be sent for peer review will be
reviewed by at least two independent reviewers. Upon its editorial
acceptance, your article will go into production immediately. It will be
published in the latest regular issue, while be presented on the specific
Special Issue webpage simultaneously. In regular issues, Special Issue
articles will be clearly marked and branded.

*Keywords:*

color vision in natural environments; natural color stimuli; ecological
color vision;

Learn more about the benefits of publishing in a special issue:
https://www.elsevier.com/authors/submit-your-paper/special-issues

Interested in becoming a guest editor? Discover the benefits of guest
editing a special issue and the valuable contribution that you can make to
your field: https://www.elsevier.com/editors/role-of-an-editor/guest-editors