[visionlist] brightness change detection puzzle

Andrew Anderson aaj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 20:24:08 -04 2022

Hi Arun,

Thank you for sharing this. Have you considered whether this might reflect there is a non-linear relationship between your nominal intensity steps and the change in luminance on the monitor? If the function is an accelerating one (like a gamma function), the incremental luminance steps from your darker background will actually be a bit smaller than those from the brighter background, even though the change in pixel values are identical.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Assoc. Prof. Andrew Anderson
Department of Optometry & Vision Sciences
The University of Melbourne, 3010
AUSTRALIA
Ph: (+613) 9035 9916