[visionlist] Release of datasets for model evaluation

Fritz Günther fritz.guenther at hu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 24 04:22:04 -04 2022

Dear colleagues,

we would like to inform you that we recently released a set of
gold-standard datasets that you might find interesting for evaluating
your vision models against human data. More specifically, we have:

• ratings of *visual* similarity for 3,000 word pairs (i.e., how similar
their referents *look like*), collected from 480 participants
• ratings of visual similarity for 3,000 image pairs, collected from 480
participants
• ratings of image typicality (how typical is an image for a given
category) for 7,500 word-image pairs (5 different images per word),
collected from 902 participants

In addition, if you are interested in human visual processing, we also
have

• response times and accuracies from a discrimination task (participants
have to decide whether two images presented in rapid succession are
identical or not; slower responses for more similar images) for 6,000
image pairs (3,000 pairs in both presentation orders), collected from
750 participants
• response times and accuracies from a priming task (two images
presented one after the other; participants have to decide whether the
second image is a real or scrambled one; faster responses for more
similar images) for 6,000 image pairs (3,000 pairs in both presentation
orders), collected from 750 participants

You can find all datasets and source lists for the images used in the
studies here: https://osf.io/qvw9c/
The repository also contains links to the paper in which we present the
datasets in more detail: https://doi.org/10.1037/rev0000392 (or a
publicly accessible preprint version here: https://psyarxiv.com/n4dmq/).
The paper contains more detailed information on how we collected and
pre-processed the data, and a first model validation.

If you have any comments or questions, we are happy to hear from you!

Best wishes,
Fritz Günther, Marco Marelli, Sam Tureski, and Marco Alessandro Petilli

--
Dr. Fritz Günther
Junior Research Group Leader

www.fritzguenther.de