[visionlist] Remembering Dr. Stuart Richer

Lisa Renzi Hammond lisa.renzi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 16:34:30 -04 2022

Apologies for multiple postings.

Dear Vision Science community,

It is great sadness that I report the untimely passing of Dr. Stuart Richer, OD, PhD, FAAO, Dipl.

Many of you knew Dr. Richer (Stu), particularly those of you in the macular pigment and ocular nutrition communities. Stu’s loss is a significant one to our community, particularly to those of us now in mid-career who “grew up” reading his work. My own first encounter with Stu was nearly 20 years ago, and I still recall his kindness and his mentorship. I have included a written memorial to Stu by Dr. Dorothy Hitchmoth, whose words capture what so many of us feel.

It is with great sorrow and respect that I inform the scientific community of the passing of an international giant in vision science, optometry and disease prevention and wellness promotion. Dr. Stuart Richer passed away at his home yesterday. He was surrounded by family and friends as he peacefully transcended. Thousands of colleagues were with him in spirit and mind as evidenced by a flood of beautiful messages as he bravely fought the scourge of cancer. Stu, as he is affectionately known to many, was a brilliant, widely respected luminary, innovator, researcher, professor and compassionate human who has changed the way we think about taking care of patients. Dr. Richer’s contributions to the science of vision loss prevention cannot be understated. His clinical and laboratory discoveries have given hope that vision loss from Age-Related Macular Degeneration and other causes of visual impairment and poor health can be prevented. His discovery of the reversal of the “macular dip” through carotenoid supplementation with zeaxanthin and lutein is recognized world-wide. Dr. Richer was passionate about ensuring the Socratic method was respected and toward this end he achieved the highest level of advancement in clinical and vision science research and practice respectively. He was one of the kindest people I have had the pleasure of calling friend and was a consummate professional no matter what challenge presented. His life’s work was dedicated to taking care of our nation’s veterans and the science of vision loss prevention. His work in the Department of Veterans Affairs, The American Academy of Optometry (AAO), The Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology (ARVO), The Ocular Wellness and Nutrition Society (OWNS), and the Optometric Retina Society (ORS) is second to none. He was and will continue to be highly respected across all sectors of the profession and has provided leadership, counsel and imparted knowledge to thousands of trainees and colleagues over 40+ years in clinical practice and research and as faculty of numerous optometry and medical schools. His research in the area of visual function and nutrition in macular degeneration and other retinal and systemic disease has led to important discovery that has already changed public health outcomes and quality of life for millions of patients in the United States and world-wide. Dr. Richer was not only passionate about clinical research that focuses on sight and life preservation but more importantly shared this knowledge with patients and doctors across the country and the world. His passion for sharing knowledge is clearly evidenced in his accomplishments as a scientific writer and clinical researcher and his long tenure as the President of the Ocular Wellness and Nutrition Society-a scientific group dedicated to teaching doctors and patients’ methodology for improved quality of life and vision loss prevention. Dr. Richer was a prolific contributor to Academy education, scientific publications and countless other professional organizations and editorial and scientific boards and venues nationally and internationally that are too numerous to list. In the last few years, his vision of creating a prevention and wellness guide for eye doctors led to a new publication supplement that coalesces the best in prevention research. This publication is now a much anticipated annually published clinical guide that is distributed to over 40,000 eye doctors internationally. Dr. Richer was selfless in his dedication to teaching optometry and medical students and residents and seasoned colleagues likewise. Most importantly, Dr. Richer he was a passionate patient advocate whose legacy will continue in perpetuity because of the foundation he created for all of us. He continuously provided education to his own patients as well the public at large. He will be most known for his compassion, empathy and respect for patients and providers alike. Undoubtedly, his work forms the foundation for a holistic approach within our profession toward the prevention of vision loss, function and life. It is most fitting that he passed during this time of year in the Jewish tradition. A time of atonement and a reminder of the frailty of human existence and of the duty to act charitably toward the less fortunate. He will continue to be an inspiration to all of us. It has been my career-long honor to call Stu my friend, mentor, co-author, co-editor, and business associate. I will miss him. Services will be held this Friday in Chicago and Shiva will be held thereafter.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Lisa M. Renzi Hammond, Ph.D.
Director, Institute of Gerontology
Co-Director, Cognitive Aging Research and Education (CARE) Center

Institute of Gerontology
Department of Health Promotion and Behavior

Integrated Life Sciences | Interdisciplinary Group Lead, Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience

102 Spear Road | Suite 135 | Athens, GA 30602
lrenzi at uga.edu
https://iog.publichealth.uga.edu

She/her/hers pronouns preferred