[visionlist] 2023 UC-Davis/SDSU ERP Boot Camp

Steven J Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 18 12:49:46 -04 2023

The UC-Davis/SDSU ERP Boot Camp, a 10-day NIH-funded summer workshop on the ERP technique, will be held July 31-August 9, 2023. This year’s workshop will take place in San Diego, California. It is intended for individuals who want to gain a deep understanding of the ERP technique, including both basic scientists and clinical/translational researchers.

Topics will include:

  *   Neural origins of ERPs
  *   The design and interpretation of ERP experiments
  *   EEG data acquisition
  *   Filtering, artifact rejection, and artifact correction
  *   Measuring and analyzing ERP components
  *   Advanced methods, such as time-frequency analysis and multivariate pattern analysis
  *   Setting up and running an ERP lab

The Boot Camp consists of lectures on these topics, accompanied by guided discussions of ERP papers, activities, and individual consultations. It is led by Steve Luck and Emily Kappenman, and the faculty includes many distinguished ERP researchers from San Diego State University, UC-San Diego, and other universities.

We focus on providing a deep understanding of the conceptual issues involved in ERP research, not specific software packages. If you are interested in getting hands-on data analysis experience, see the free online book, Applied ERP Data Analysis (https://doi.org/10.18115/D5QG92).

Previous ERP Boot Camp participants have come from around the world and have included graduate students, postdocs, research scientists, and faculty. They have included psychologists, neuroscientists, psychiatrists, neurologists, audiologists, linguists, and more. The ERP Boot Camp provides a deep exploration of ERPs, so we require that graduate students and postdocs have had at least one year of intensive ERP experience before attending the Boot Camp (this requirement is waived for faculty-level participants). We strongly encourage applications from individuals from underrepresented groups and disadvantaged backgrounds (broadly defined; see https://extramural-diversity.nih.gov/diversity-matters/disadvantaged-backgrounds).

All participants receive a scholarship that covers most or all of the costs of attending the Boot Camp. There is no registration fee. We typically accept 30-32 U.S. citizens and permanent residents, along with 3-5 participants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

COVID Information: We are currently planning to hold the 2023 Boot Camp entirely in person (to maximize learning and networking). We will require that everyone is fully vaccinated, and we will also implement any other safety measures that are warranted at the time of the workshop.

Applications for the 2023 workshop are now being accepted. Applications are due by April 1, 2023, and admissions decisions will be announced in early May. For more information and the application form, see https://erpinfo.org/summer-boot-camp/

If you have questions after reading the materials on our web site, please send an email to erpbootcamp at gmail.com<mailto:erpbootcamp at gmail.com>

Steven J. Luck, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Distinguished Professor, Department of Psychology<http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/>
Core Faculty, Center for Mind & Brain<https://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu>