[visionlist] Special Issue in CR:PI - Automation and Human Cognition

Sarah Hope Creem-Regehr sarah.creem at psych.utah.edu
Thu Apr 6 19:37:24 -04 2023

Call for Papers

Automation and Human Cognition
A New Thematic Series for
Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CR:PI)

Submission Deadline: October 1, 2023

Guest Editors

Amy S. McDonnell, University of Utah, USA (amy.mcdonnell at utah.edu)
John D. Lee, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA (jdlee at engr.wisc.edu)
David L. Strayer, University of Utah, USA (david.strayer at utah.edu)

CR:PI Editor-in-Chief
Sarah Creem-Regehr, University of Utah, USA

<https://www.psychonomic.org/page/CRPIAutomation/>Special Issue
Our world is increasingly automated–from vehicles and cockpits, to military weaponry and medical technology. One intention behind autonomy is to increase performance and safety, while also freeing up time and cognitive resources for humans to allocate to other tasks. For example, automated vehicles can decrease traffic accidents caused by human lapses of attention or cognitive overload, and automation in the cockpit allows pilots to focus on just a fraction of the many tasks they must complete while keeping hundreds of people safe at 30,000 feet above the ground. However, until we reach full autonomy, many responsibilities are shared between the human and the computer. Automated technology in its current form is fallible, so humans must continue to monitor the system to intervene during unexpected situations that the computer cannot handle. This shared role requires that humans understand, trust, and properly interact with the automated system. However, evidence suggests that this may not always be the case—because humans are also fallible.

This special issue aims to bring together articles related to how humans interact with increasingly automated systems, with a focus on human cognition. We invite articles that explore basic cognitive processes that underlie human-automation interactions, including but not limited to monitoring behavior, mental workload, situational awareness, decision making, vigilance (and vigilance decrements), problem-solving in complex environments, interruptions, and take-over behavior. Articles exploring basic psychological principles such as trust in, and perceptions of, automated technology are also encouraged. Furthermore, we welcome theoretical perspectives on the new cognitive phenomena that may emerge from joint cognitive systems that comprise of both human and automation elements. In line with CR:PI’s mission for use-inspired basic research, the articles included in this special issue will highlight how our exploration of basic cognitive science informs our understanding of human-automation interactions with real world applications, such as in the fields of ground transportation, aviation, military science, medicine, manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and beyond. The goal is to contribute to the effective design of “human-centered” autonomy. We invite you to contribute. https://www.psychonomic.org/page/crpiautomation

Deadline/Submission Details
Submission is open, and papers should be submitted by October 1, 2023. You can find manuscript submission details at: http://cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/submission-guidelines/preparing-your-manuscript

Questions?
If you have any questions about whether your paper would be appropriate for this special issue, please send an abstract or brief (< 1 page) description to the Guest Editors.

About CR:PI
Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CR:PI) is the open access journal of the Psychonomic Society. Its mission is to publish use-inspired basic research: fundamental cognitive research that grows from hypotheses about real-world problems. As with all Psychonomic Society journals, submissions to CR:PI are subject to rigorous peer review. For manuscripts accepted for the special issue, the publication fee may be fully or partially waived depending on the number of manuscripts accepted for the special issue. The authors should indicate when they submit a manuscript if they are requesting a waiver of the publication fee.

Sarah Creem-Regehr (she/her)
Professor
Department of Psychology
University of Utah