[visionlist] The Trauma THOMPSON Challenge @ MICCAI 2023 - Call for Papers

Zhuo, Yupeng zhuoy at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:29:52 -04 2023

Hi everyone,

We cordially welcome and invite you to take part in The Trauma THOMPSON Challenge at MICCAI 2023, which will be held in Vancouver, BC on October 12, 2023.

Event: The Trauma THOMPSON Challenge
Location: Co-located with MICCAI 2023 (Satellite Event)
Date: October 12, 2023
TIME: AM Session
Abstract Submission Deadline: September 8th, 2023
Paper Submission Deadline: September 15th, 2023
Challenge Website: https://thompson-challenge.grand-challenge.org<https://thompson-challenge.grand-challenge.org/>

Challenge Overview

The primary goal of The Trauma THOMPSON Challenge is to encourage research to build better algorithms for autonomous instruction systems in uncontrolled and austere environments, especially for life-saving procedures. An AI-based guidance system does not only enhance the capabilities of untrained personnel to deliver diagnosis or resuscitative care in austere environments but also increases their confidence to undertake psychologically daunting procedures. This dataset would allow the study of human actions and intentions from the first-person view in the medical domain (refer to egocentric datasets of medical procedures). To the best of our knowledge, our dataset is the first egocentric view dataset of life-saving intervention (LSI) procedures with detailed annotations by medical professionals. We have collected over 200 procedure videos with environment, simulator, and type variability. Based on this dataset, the challenge we propose involves multiple tasks to encourage participants across the globe to design impactful algorithms with applications to medicine. The envisioned algorithms include action recognition, action anticipation, procedure recognition, and visual question answering (VQA).

The challenge participation details are available on our challenge website<https://thompson-challenge.grand-challenge.org/>.

Call for Participation and Papers

There will be 2 tracks for this challenge and a total of 4 challenge tasks. All accepted papers will be included in the MICCAI challenge proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) volume in the challenges subline). We have a leaderboard for each task and submitting a paper (min 6 pages, max 12 pages, LNCS format) is mandatory for a corresponding submission in any task to be eligible in the official ranking.

●       Track 1
o    Task 1: Action Recognition
o    Task 2: Action Anticipation
o    Task 3: Procedure Recognition
●       Track 2
o    Task 1: Visual Question Answering

We have prizes for top performing teams in each task and the best paper award. The details are available on our challenge website<https://thompson-challenge.grand-challenge.org/>.

Important Dates

●       Train data release: 11:59 PM EST, Jul. 6th, 2023
●       Test data release: 11:59 PM EST, Aug. 15th, 2023
●       Participation declaration form deadline: 11:59 PM EST, Aug. 25th, 2023 (Data confidentiality agreement required) - All teams must enter before this date!
●       Deadline for results submission: 11:59 PM EST, Sep. 1st, 2023
●       Submit your inference code + checkpoint: 11:59 PM EST, Sep. 5th, 2023
●       Abstract submission: 11:59 PM EST, Sep. 8th, 2023
●       Full Paper submission deadline: 11:59 PM EST, Sep. 15th, 2023
●       Winner announcement: 11:59 PM EST, Sep. 22nd, 2023
●       Conference date: AM session, Oct. 8th, 2023

Organizing Committee

●       Nina Jiang, Purdue University
●       Yupeng Zhuo, Purdue University
●       Juan Wachs, Purdue University
●       Andrew W. Kirkpatrick, University of Calgary
●       Jessica McKee, University of Calgary
●       Kyle Couperus, The Geneva Foundation
●       Christopher Colombo, The Geneva Foundation
●       Eleanor Birch, Madigan Army Medical Center
●       Chad Gorbatkin, Madigan Army Medical Center
●       Oanh Tran, The Geneva Foundation
●       Jonah Beck, The Geneva Foundation
●       DeAnna DeVane, The Geneva Foundation

Contact
If you have any questions about the Trauma THOMPSON Challenge, please email Nina Jiang (jiang841 at purdue.edu<mailto:jiang841 at purdue.edu>), Yupeng Zhuo (zhuoy at purdue.edu<mailto:zhuoy at purdue.edu>), and Oanh Tran (otran at genevausa.org<mailto:otran at genevausa.org>).

***Disclaimers: The views expressed are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the official policy of the Department of the Army, the Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government.