[visionlist] Generative models for nonlinear dynamics -- postdoc at UT Austin

Gilpin, William wgilpin at utexas.edu
Tue Aug 8 23:03:07 -04 2023

A 3-year post-doctoral position is available to develop tools for analyzing chaotic time series using generative machine learning. Our curiosity-driven research group is broadly interested in computational approaches to understanding natural systems, such as:

+ Density estimation algorithms for turbulent attractors
+ Generative forecasting models for biomedical time series
+ Physics-based reinforcement learning for controlling chaos

The Gilpin Lab<http://www.wgilpin.com> is located in the Center for Nonlinear Dynamics within UT Austin’s physics department. We are affiliated with the interdisciplinary Oden Institute for Computational Science and Engineering, and we enjoy interacting with our colleagues in other departments such as Geosciences and Dell Medical School.

Compensation:
+ Salary starting at $70k
+ 5k travel/yr
+ Three year duration, annual renewal
+ Relocation, laptop, and discretionary startup funds
+ Same benefits as UT faculty: 8.5% retirement match, fully-covered medical

Requirements:
+ Strong programming experience, ideally in Python or Julia
+ Open to all backgrounds; prior dynamical systems experience not necessary

Preferred Qualifications:
+ Experience developing and maintaining user-friendly open-source code
+ Familiarity with scientific programming, or statistical learning.

Start Date: Flexible depending on candidate

Apply: E-mail wgilpin at utexas.edu<mailto:wgilpin at utexas.edu> with a CV, the name of a reference, and one representative paper. Please mention this ad.

William Gilpin
Assistant Professor of Physics at UT Austin
The Oden Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
http://www.wgilpin.com