[visionlist] Phd & Postdoc position in visual plasticity and augmented reality [Haifa, Israel]

Sarit Szpiro sarit.szpiro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 06:48:58 -04 2023

Hi all,

Phd and postdoc positions are currently available in AmpliLab
<https://amplilab.edu.haifa.ac.il/home> headed by Dr. Sarit Szpiro at the
University of Haifa (Israel). The projects aim to reveal how our brain
learns to process new perceptual information by mixing up approaches from
cognitive psychology and human-computer interaction.

The postdoc position will be an initial appointment for one year, with the
option to renew annually for 2 additional years. The Ph.D. position is a
four-year assignment. The positions are open until filled.

*Requirements:*

Candidates should have a Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field
such as Psychology, Education, Neuroscience, Optometry, Computer Science,
Physiology, or Communication Sciences. Exceptional undergraduate students
with a strong research experience may also be considered. Applicants should
have strong English writing skills and programming experience would be a
plus. To apply, send me your CV, recent grade information, along with a
brief statement explaining why you are interested in the lab - sarit.szpiro
at edu.haifa.ac.il <sarit.szpiro at edu.haifa.ac.il> .

*The lab:*

Amplilab <https://amplilab.edu.haifa.ac.il/home> focuses on finding new
ways to enhance people's perceptual abilities with training and
technology.  We study typical and atypical populations (e.g., autism, low
vision) and examine the development of perception, attention, and
perceptual learning skills. Methods used in the lab include psychophysics,
eye tracking, and computational modeling.

We are also very much interested in applied research and health science. We
have ongoing collaborations with labs in Information Science, Physical
Therapy, and Communication Sciences and Disorders. For example, we are
developing augmented reality prototypes to assist people with low vision
tour a museum.

*The environment:*

University of Haifa is located at the top of Mount Carmel with beautiful
views of the Mediterranean Sea and green mountains. The lab is part of a
research echo-system and provides ample opportunities to interact with
neighboring labs with expertise ranging from psychophysics, cognitive
neuroscience, and machine learning.

--
Dr. Sarit Szpiro, Amplilab
<https://sites.google.com/edu.haifa.ac.il/amplilab/>