[visionlist] What can retinotopy tell us about how the brain allows us to see?

Peter Neri neri.peter at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 28 06:27:31 -04 2023

also relevant to this discussion, and to some of Andrew's comments:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29249282/
. 2018 Jan 3;97(1):164-180.e7.
doi: 10.1016/j.neuron.2017.11.017. Epub 2017 Dec 14.
Spatial Information in a Non-retinotopic Visual Cortex
Julien Fournier
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Fournier+J&cauthor_id=29249282>  1
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29249282/#full-view-affiliation-1>, Christian
M Müller
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=M%C3%BCller+CM&cauthor_id=29249282>
1 <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29249282/#full-view-affiliation-1>, Ingmar
Schneider
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Schneider+I&cauthor_id=29249282>  1
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29249282/#full-view-affiliation-1>, Gilles
Laurent
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Laurent+G&cauthor_id=29249282>  2
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29249282/#full-view-affiliation-2>

On Wed, Sep 27, 2023 at 10:26 PM Andrew Parker <andrew.parker at dpag.ox.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Nice to have the challenge: here are a few remarks.
>

> 1)    Retinotopy is probably efficient but not essential for visual
> processing. The only relationships that matter in the nervous system are
> the connections between nerve cells. So, the idea that retinotopy is
> important because the cortical representation is a distorted replica of the
> retinal image is surely for the birds. We might as well worry that the
> image of the world is “upside down” on the visual cortex, an issue that
> used to present problems but now poses us no problems at all nowadays.
>
> 2)    Retinotopy arises in part because that’s how the nervous system
> builds itself, as it does for other sensory systems. Several constraints
> arise from the principle of “fire together, wire together”. But there are
> other factors related to contact molecules (ephrins) in visual development.
> These matters bite before visual input to the cortex really gets going. So,
> by the time vision truly arrives, the system is already topographic, if not
> fully retinotopic.
>
> 3)    For humans, alignment of retinotopy for left and right eyes is
> critical. It really looks as if part of amblyopia is due to the
> “scrambling” of the retinotopy of one eye in its mapping onto the cortex. A
> powerful piece of evidence here are the reports of spatial distortions in
> geometric figures when viewed by the amblyopic eye, as compared with
> viewing by the fellow eye. Stereo-depth from binocularity will of course
> fail if the mapping is not correct. Contrariwise, in animals like mice,
> with limited binocular visual fields, retinotopy marches on across the
> cortex regardless of engagement from the other eye.
>
> 4)    There’s another point about binocular retinotopic mapping, which is
> that it is really hard to see how stereo could ever develop without going
> through the alignment of two monocular retinotopic maps. It’s not
> impossible, but binocular alignment of retinotopy provides a simple
> developmental mechanism that enables stereo through a controlled, local
> mismatching of inputs from left and right eyes. This is a sort of
> counter-argument to point 1 above, but the issue with stereo is that it
> depends on the relationship of left and right eye retinotopies, not just
> the existence of retinotopic maps for each eye taken alone.
>
> 5)    There are some properties of perception that are hard to explain
> with retinotopic maps. One example is perception of symmetry, which may
> involve matching of corresponding points that are separated by many
> millimeters of cortical distance, at least in V1.
>
> 6)    For many of the spatial relationships that we need to process
> computationally from the visual inputs, near-neighbour relationships are
> dominant. Thus, the nervous system can save on economy of wiring by setting
> things up on a retinotopic basis. The saving is more than just the cost of
> building connections with “long wires”, because, in long-term use, long
> [...]

Peter Neri
Head of Vision Team
Laboratoire des Systèmes Perceptifs (UMR8248)
École Normale Supérieure
29 rue d'Ulm, 75005 Paris (France)

https://sites.google.com/site/neripeter/home
https://lsp.dec.ens.fr/en/member/652/peter-neri