[visionlist] Faculty position at UAB

Visscher, Kristina M (Campus) kmv at uab.edu
Thu Sep 28 17:18:20 -04 2023

Dear Visionlist,

At UAB, we’re recruiting faculty who use neuroimaging tools for neuroscience research.  Vision science is a great fit for UAB, which has an excellent vision science community already, and close ties to vision clinics (Callahan Eye foundation hospital, UAB Optometry, UAB Ophthalmology and others) with access to many patient populations.  Below, I’ve attached the official advertisement, and applications can be submitted here https://uab.peopleadmin.com/postings/19319.  Please help spread the word, share with your colleagues, and don’t hesitate to ask me if you have any questions!!!

Best,

Kristina
Kristina Visscher, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, UAB Department of Neurobiology<https://www.uab.edu/medicine/neurobiology/>
Co-Director, Civitan International Neuroimaging Laboratory<https://www.uab.edu/medicine/cinl/>
Associate Director, Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute at UAB<https://www.uab.edu/medicine/mbi/>
kmv at uab.edu<mailto:kmv at uab.edu> | https://sites.uab.edu/kmv/

Here’s the full description:

The Departments of Neurobiology and Radiology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) are seeking highly qualified candidates for a joint, full-time, open-rank and open-tenure, research-focused faculty position. This position is specifically tailored for candidates with a background in the use of neuroimaging for neuroscience research. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and maintain an active, federally funded research program. The ideal candidate will have expertise using human neuroimaging methods (including functional MRI, MRI, PET, or MEG) to approach neurobiological questions including but not limited to autism, neurodevelopmental disorders, aging, and neural plasticity.

Ideal applicants will have a doctoral degree PhD, MD, or MD/PhD in neuroscience, neurobiology, physics, psychology, computer science, electrical engineering, neuroengineering or related discipline, and a track record of federally funded research. The candidate must be committed to enhancing the research and learning experiences of undergraduate and graduate students.

UAB is a comprehensive urban university with the nation’s fourth-largest public hospital (eighth-largest hospital in the nation and best hospital in Alabama), which has rapidly evolved into a world-renowned research university and health care center that ranks in the top ten nationally for student diversity. UAB has extensive human neuroimaging resources and core facilities, including a Siemens Prisma scanner installed as part of the Civitan International Neuroimaging Laboratory (https://www.uab.edu/medicine/cinl/) and a GE Premier scheduled for installation in late 2023, a state-of-the art PET/MRI scanner with cyclotron (https://www.uab.edu/medicine/radiology/research/core-facilities/advanced-imaging-facility), a planned MEG installation, as well as many clinical magnets around campus (https://www.uab.edu/cores/ircp/rmric). Active research using TMS, TDCS/TRNS, and EEG are ongoing, and we have world-leading intracranial EEG and neurosurgical recording expertise and a new consortium for neuroengineering and brain computer interfaces (https://sites.uab.edu/cnbci/). You would have access to outstanding graduate students coming from many disciplines, including our neuroengineering program (https://www.uab.edu/engineering/home/neuroengineering) and Neuroscience program (https://www.uab.edu/gbs/home/themes/nesc). We have strong ties to Auburn University, facilitated by the Alabama Advanced Imaging Consortium (https://www.alabamaadvancedimaging.org/), giving access to a state-of the art Siemens 7T machine (https://www.eng.auburn.edu/research/centers/mri/equipment/index.html).

UAB is a Carnegie R1 research university. It has been consistently ranked highly, including being named the 2018 and 2019 Top Young University in the U.S. (top 10 worldwide, Times Higher Education World University Rankings), America’s Best Large Employer (Forbes, 2021), and America’s No. 4 Best Employer for Diversity (Forbes 2021). UAB is Alabama’s single largest employer. With an enrollment of over 22,280 students, over 2,630 full-time faculty members, and a campus covering more than 100 city blocks, UAB is focused on the future of teaching, research, health care, and community service. Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama, noted for its vibrant music scene, fine dining, warm weather, excellent schools, and a culture embracing diversity within driving distance to Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville, and New Orleans.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham offers competitive salary and benefits packages that are commensurate with experience and offers tremendous collaborative opportunities and core facilities to support and grow an active research program. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment and providing a supportive work-life blend to all our faculty members, with family-friendly policies. Women and under-represented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.

Applications are due by December 5, 2023, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment. With your application, please submit a cover letter, CV or resume, a statement describing your research activities and teaching interests, and a list of at least four references. Additionally, candidates are asked to include a one-page statement describing their contributions to promote diversity and inclusion. For more information about the position or the department, please contact Dr. Kristina Visscher at kmv at uab.edu<mailto:kmv at uab.edu>.

In alignment with UAB School of Medicine’s mission to reflect the diversity of our community and meet the needs of our diverse population, candidates are required as part of the application process to provide a statement that is up to one page single-spaced describing their contributions to promote diversity and inclusion.

The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.