[visionlist] What can retinotopy tell us about how the brain allows us to see?

PERRINET Laurent laurent.perrinet at univ-amu.fr
Fri Sep 29 08:15:43 -04 2023

Dear colleagues,

Very interesting discussion and still an open debate... a shameless self plug, hoping it is a possible contribution to this discussion.
We have recently challenged the efficiency of retinotopy in our presentation this week at ICANN:

 Jean-Nicolas Jérémie<https://laurentperrinet.github.io/author/jean-nicolas-jeremie/>, Emmanuel Daucé<https://laurentperrinet.github.io/author/emmanuel-dauce/>, Laurent U Perrinet<https://laurentperrinet.github.io/author/laurent-u-perrinet/> (2023). Retinotopy improves the categorisation and localisation of visual objects in CNNs<https://laurentperrinet.github.io/publication/jeremie-23-icann/>. 32nd International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN 2023).
https://laurentperrinet.github.io/publication/jeremie-23-icann/

Our modeling work suggests that standard visual object categorization models such as CNNs can easily handle retinotopic input (surprisingly !), and that this gives them some relative robustness to zoom and rotation:

[image]

Compared to traditional CNNs, the retinotopic mapping appears to have more density around the fixation point, so that "looking around" the scene shows better localization of objects:

[image]

The model is certainly wrong, but I hope it can be useful for predictions, maybe psychophysics?) :-)

Cheers,
Laurent & Jean-Nicolas

Ps: would be glad to share our paper / code - drop us a message!
--

Laurent Perrinet - INT (UMR 7289)/CNRS
https://laurentperrinet.github.io/